1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confused about my teaching interview observation!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Helena Handbasket, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

The interview I had for my job said I could pick any topic that I would teach to KS3 RE. Cue blind panic thinking I have no idea after other interviews being so structured.
    Creative to me just suggests you need to be doing something not just writing or work that they might not find attractive. Things like drama, art, building, dance, teamwork things like that. I could be way off but this is how I took it.

Take a deep breath and step back from it. You will find that you will get some ideas coming to you as soon as you relax.

2. Thanks for your help!

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

Are you sure they didn't mean to say "creative writing"?
    Why not call the school and ask for more details? Just ask them if really do mean to offer completely free choice.
    Then, choose a lesson you've taught before that went successfully. Alternatively, plan your interview lesson and then try it out in your current school (assuming you are an NQT or are a student teacher here) so that you can iron out any problems that arise.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Personally I wouldn't call the school a second time, unless you don't want the job! They want to know that they are employing someone who can get their act together and sort themselves out without constantly checking this or that.

Creative with year three would mean anything you like that means the children are 'doing' something. Also that they are working collaboratively. I would recommend you do something a bit out of the ordinary. Maybe take them outside? Do some maths in an unusual context? And so on.

Choose your LO carefully and then go from there...