1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

confused about APP evidence

Discussion in 'Primary' started by acot, Oct 15, 2009.

1. I'm an NQT and still getting my head round APP. The bit that I find hard is finding evidence for every single thing. It is easier in maths/writing where you can refer to books. Can you have evidence of something a child has said? Also, to be valid, does the evidence have to be assessment completed at a separate time to when you have given core input on a subject (eg shape and space assessment not in a lesson on shape but later to assess actual understanding?)
    How do you evidence reading app?

2. I have just remembered another thing I am confused about. I have some high ability children who I know can do many of the level 1 things easily but do not have evidence because I have been giving them work that is at a higher level - do I have to make evidence for the sake ofhighlighting those level one things or is it assumed that if I have evidence for level 2/3 things then I do not need to provide evidence for lower levels?

3. For writing, you choose which level sheet to use ie 1/2 or 2/3 or 3/4 so therefore you don't need to highlight every criteria from every level - imagine doing that once a child has reached level 5!!!
    Yes evidence can be oral. A lot of it is teacher judgement.
    Ideally, the work should be independent - so if using a piece you gave lots of guidance in for example with vocab, don't use this piece as evidence for vocab, but by all means use it as evidence for punctuation or something else that wasn't the focus of the lesson.
    Hope that helps

4. As APP grids are a reasonably new invention, I would suggest that it's probably fine to just start using the level 2/3 grids for your higher ability children. The levels build on each other anyway so the fact that they were at level 2 would imply security at level 1. Your only problem would come if you had insufficient evidence for any of the AFs.

In terms of reading assessment, I actually came on here to look up something similar. However my school have suggested that we listen to children read and just date the APP grids with the dates that we are happy they reached those targets. There will not be any concrete evidence as such but I guess that is just your professional judgement (please feel free to jump in and tell me if I am completely wrong here!) You could use reports from a Guided Reading session perhaps?

5. I find post-notes are a great way for you or your TA to jot down things chn say for APP evidence. Also, make sure you maximise each peace of evidence. For example reading. If a child's answer can hit AF2, 3 and 6 then reference all 3!
    Don't forget about written character portraits, story maps and things like that can be used for reading evidence too.
    I'm Literacy Coordinator so I have trained my staff on APP reading and Writing. If you need any more help, I'd be happy to help out.

6. You might wish you'd never said that! How much of an APP grid do you realistically think that I will be able to complete simply by listening to a child read? Are there any kind of assessment tasks that I could do with them in order to hit most AFs in one session?

7. It's all about the quality of the questions you ask. You need to plan your reading sessions carefully so that you ask the right questions so that the chn have the opportunity to make AF4, 5, 6 and 7 responses. Don't worry if you always get insufficient evidence for AF7-I always do! At my school we ask for 6 pieces of evidence for each child. You can collect evidence from individual reading, guided reading, comments they make on the carpet, character profiles, comparison tables, wanted posters, story maps, role play activities.
    Do you have a list of AF-specific questions? If not I could email them to you?

8. I've sent you a couple of things.

9. Jackie12

Jackie12 New commenter

Please could o
    you send me a copy of your AF questions as I need help!!!!! Thanks Jackie
    Jjj3996@aol.com

10. I've sent you a PM on here - although I realised I didn't give you my email address - d'oh! I shall send you another message shortly :)

11. miss may

miss may New commenter

12. We have reading journals. For each time a child has read with an AF focus they have a task to complete in their journal. Perfect for evidence.
    Look on the APP website as well to check out the standards files.

13. I have sent some stuff to all who asked for it! If you need more, I have more!

14. That's brilliant - thank you!

pinkflipflop - are these reading journals that you have bought in or made yourself?

15. It is just a small notebook for each child.

16. May I jump on this band wagen too and thank you in advance for such a generous offer!

lynsey_louise@yahoo.com

[​IMG]

17. I've sent you guys the materials.

18. Can I be a pain and ask for the AF specific questions too please? Thank you!
    e_lockey@live.co.uk