1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conflicting Instructions

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by spaceoddity, Mar 5, 2016.

1. spaceoddity

spaceoddity New commenter

I'm applying for a post where the application form reads 'please attach a supporting statement describing how your skills...' etc.

However, the email I received with the application form, job spec etc from the school has a message in the body asking for 'a letter in support of your application.'

Would you ring the head's PA (from whom the email originated) to clarify? I don't want to seem picky, but equally, if they don't realise that they're asking for two differently formatted things and I pick the wrong one, I might get discarded altogether!

Can @TheoGriff or anyone else help?

Thanks in advance.

2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

They probably mean the same thing.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I shouldn't worry in the least - they are not going to discard your application based on that.

TIP: don't mention to them the disparity . . . they may think you will be a picky/awkward colleague. ;)

Now - is there a space on the form where you could insert your E.S.? If so, then that's solved, because you can then write a letter with a clear conscience and happy heart. :)

If no suitable space, then write a letter and have the E.S. as page 3 of the letter so that it gets printed out automatically.

Best wishes

4. spaceoddity

That's what I thought about asking! Didn't want to seem picky!

There is no space anywhere for the ES - to be honest, before scouring these forums regarding this job, I'd never heard of an ES! Do you recommend using one even if not asked? (And please say if so that it doesn't come off my already extremely tight 600 word count for the statement/letter!) ;)

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, normally I would always recommend sending one in.

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

But not if 600 word limit! In which case, send a statement so you don't waste words on address and salutation.

But be sure to put your name on the top of the statement . . . and be sure to do an E.S. before you start writing the statement. Even if you're not going to send it, it is useful for getting your statement targeted (especially in 600 words), and as an aide-mémoire for interview.

You found all the advice articles?

Best wishes

6. spaceoddity

That's great advice thank you! Yes, I've found all your excellent articles, which I've really appreciated.

I'm also so glad you agree that 600 words is tight - I thought I was just being too verbose, but it's so hard! :confused:

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

(the missing thumbs-up emoticon)