1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conflict with their school teacher.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Mathsteach2, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Mathsteach2

Mathsteach2 Established commenter

The point of this thread, JonNichola, is two-fold, at least. Firstly, it gives anyone an opportunity to respond to me, supportive or not as the case may be, as I did invite in my Post 41 above, para 2. So many thanks for your response.

Secondly, the TES describe their fora as chat rooms, with which I tend to disagree, but also as "a place to let off steam", which I am, of course, doing. I trust that now explains the purpose of this thread. If you do not like it, the answer is simple, do not join in!

So now we turn to the main concern of this thread, as described in its title. It appears that most private tutors do not want to get involved, and there is also this suggestion that we are critising another "professional". Professionalism for me makes me think of doctors, architects, engineers, even the Professional Army, the police force and artisans such as plumbers, electricians etc. In all of these cases a second opinion can be sought, I think.

All I ask is that as a private tutor, I am in a position to suggest to my clients (parents or students, depending on their maturity) that they listen to what I am saying and that they are likely to benefit if they accept my criticisms of another so-called professional.

This thread is really turning into a critique of the so-called professionalism of teachers. Say no more! Some of you obviously od not like to be criticised.