1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confirming job offers

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cosmos_222, Mar 7, 2012.

1. cosmos_222

cosmos_222 New commenter

Hi everyone!
    Have got a job offer from a great school in Dubai and am now waiting for paperwork to go through. How long did it take for all your relevant schools to send you documentation to allow you to resign from your current schools? Once a school has given you a job offer is it binding (as it is in the UK)? or could things change. [Thinking the worst]
    THanks!

2. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Here comes your first test of how 'great' the school really is.

3. Diddysan

Diddysan New commenter

In the same boat now, been verbally offered a job in Egypt and in China. Don't want to resign until it's certain. And I'd prefer one over the other, but don't want to turn down one until I have signed with my preferred choice.
    How long can this process take?

4. SMT dude

SMT dude New commenter

Well, it would be easy to say, as I implied above, that a great school will do it immediately, a good school within a week and a lousy school gets around to it when they can be arrsed, leaving you a bundle of nerves in the mean time.
    But even at our streamilined outfit, such things can take a couple of days or the same number of weeks, depending on what else is happening around the place.
    And we have no <u>external</u> factors to reckon with - in countries where schools must apply to the Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Immigration and the National Institute of Eugenic Hygiene to obtain written permission to offer a pre-contract to some foreigner, the length of the process is out of the school's hands and they must wait for the bureaucrats.
    So I'm afraid it's another 'piece of string' question.

5. cosmos_222

cosmos_222 New commenter

Hiya - thanks! We've had lots of great communication from the school and have been told that all our paperwork and things are ready to go - and should be done in a week. TDALEY - hope yours gets sorted!!

6. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

My first international school:
    Contract arrived about a month after the offer of the post. My friend was already there and told me that there is a LOT of paperwork in the UAE ( and more so working for the military ) so I was not worried.
    Second Post:
    Emailed confirmation of the offer the same day as the phone call to make the offer. Contact details of staff were given with the confirmation. Contract arrived by DHL within a week or so.
    Third Post:
    Contract emailed to me 48 hours after the verbal offer. Signed contract copy returned by DHL within a week of me posting it. Details of members of staff to get in touch with for information given along with contract email.