1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confidential Information

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by curlcurlcurl, Nov 19, 2018.

1. curlcurlcurl

curlcurlcurl Occasional commenter

I have had another teacher come to express their sympathies relating to what should be confidential information about my appraisal and an appeals process I am currently involved in. I asked how they came to hear of this and it turns out that my line manager had shared the information with them.

The person in question is not part of any leadership team and should not have been privy to details about my appraisal. The person who spoke to me about this did not mean anything malicious and I do believe they were meaning well. However, I am a little annoyed. Not at them, at my line manager.

Am I justified in feeling annoyed? It very much feels as if my line manager has treated it as idle gossip with another member of staff? As far as I was aware, only your line manager, the head and governors if it goes to appeal should have confidential information about someone else's appraisal shared with them.

2. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Look on the bright side - it might just help you reverse your pay progression decision. Go nuclear, say you don’t have confidence your appraisal has been done properly and has been handled badly.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Your line manager clearly does not understand professional conversations, and to be frank, anyone who is told this sort of information should respond with a polite "I don't think I need to know this, thank you".

Your LM has overstepped the mark - Appraisal is a confidential process. Contact your Union and ask their advice.

agathamorse, Curae, bonxie and 2 others like this.
  4. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

Organise a meeting with your LM before escalating it, is my advice. What if the info did not come from them?

agathamorse, Curae and phlogiston like this.
  5. curlcurlcurl

I agree that hearsay is always plausible, however, as the LM is currently making my work life very difficult and engaging in bullying behaviour separate from this it is likely that they are the source.

SCAW12, agathamorse and Curae like this.
  6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Consider requesting a meeting with both your line manager and your line manager's line manager in the same room together to raise your concern. Don't point the finger, simply say that the information appears to have been leaked.

agathamorse, Curae, bonxie and 4 others like this.
  7. mm71

mm71 Occasional commenter

Add to that a witness on your part too; I wouldn't want to be the only one facing a line manager who may be bullying you and their line manager

curlcurlcurl, agathamorse and bonxie like this.
  8. curlcurlcurl

That’s my concern. As sensible as the meeting sounds I’m worried it’s another opportunity for bullying.

But if I let it slide altogether it’s a sign that the person can conduct themselves inappropriately and unprofessionally with no consequence.

mm71 likes this.
  9. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

I think firstly meet with your LM and find out if it was them, then go and see their LM if it was and tell them the situation. They should then deal with the situation professionally for you without it becoming more stressful for you.