1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confidence knocked out of me- NQT supply teacher

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Kj90, Apr 2, 2012.

1. [​IMG] <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I posted this in the supply teacher sec tion, but thought it better placed here.
    Long story short, i've been working full time for a nursery school since January 16th, covering a member of staff off ill. All was fab, and just last week i was invited to stay part time even though the teacher was returning. As you can imagine i felt my career was well and truely on track. The school noted that i hadn't been able to start induction and hadn't received any guidance or support, and that after easter this would improve.
    On thursday i was involved in a safe guarding incident. I'd never been in this position before and dealt with it to the best of my ability, having recieved no guidance or support in the matter. I wrote down everything that happened but failed to write down the interventions I made (i didnt realise just how scrutinised my notes would be) I had also discussed with my experienced team what i had done and they agreed that i had dealt with it appropriately. When passing these notes on i was immediately called into the head teachers office. To say I was demoralised is an understatement, was kept by the head teacher for hours after school yesterday and was told that my judgement was shocking and unnacceptable. I would like to point out that the safeguarding issue was between two children who were not in immediate danger. I was accused of encouraging the situation and that i hadnt intervened. I explained that i had, but these interventions were not written down as at the time i was focussing on what the children were doing/saying. I was given a severe dressing down and left feeling as low as possible,
    Bravely i continued as normal Friday, eager to prove i could make things right. All was fine until the end of the day until i was once agin pulled into the heads office and told that i am no longer invited to stay after easter. I didnt get to say goodbye to the children. My team are disgusted and upset and fearful for their jobs. In some ways i am glad to be out of such an unsupportive school, but i feel that after all my hard work these last two terms, i was made a scapegoat for the obvious shortcomings in their training and support procedure. I admit that i made mistakes, but i am only human and was not given the opportunity to put things right.
    I've failed to mention that the headteacher is only temporary and has been in place a number of weeks. I feel i have been made an example of to other staff. The other senior manager was nothing but supportive about the incident, she helped me to see where i made mistakes but didnt take away my dignity, speaking to me fairly and acknowledging the lack of support given to me. My agent has been nothing but supportive, i phoned him straight after to explain what had happened. He phoned again today to say that the head teacher had called him in to discuss my dismissal and that could he have my side of the story. After a fairly long phonecall he assured me that this incident wont affect my future work with them but i still feel deflated. I dont know if anyone has any advice, i would certainly appreciate it, but i just needed to vent. Thanks for reading this very long moan!
    </td></tr></table>

2. [​IMG] <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">I posted this in the supply teacher sec tion, but thought it better placed here.
    Long story short, i've been working full time for a nursery school since January 16th, covering a member of staff off ill. All was fab, and just last week i was invited to stay part time even though the teacher was returning. As you can imagine i felt my career was well and truely on track. The school noted that i hadn't been able to start induction and hadn't received any guidance or support, and that after easter this would improve.
    On thursday i was involved in a safe guarding incident. I'd never been in this position before and dealt with it to the best of my ability, having recieved no guidance or support in the matter. I wrote down everything that happened but failed to write down the interventions I made (i didnt realise just how scrutinised my notes would be) I had also discussed with my experienced team what i had done and they agreed that i had dealt with it appropriately. When passing these notes on i was immediately called into the head teachers office. To say I was demoralised is an understatement, was kept by the head teacher for hours after school yesterday and was told that my judgement was shocking and unnacceptable. I would like to point out that the safeguarding issue was between two children who were not in immediate danger. I was accused of encouraging the situation and that i hadnt intervened. I explained that i had, but these interventions were not written down as at the time i was focussing on what the children were doing/saying. I was given a severe dressing down and left feeling as low as possible,
    Bravely i continued as normal Friday, eager to prove i could make things right. All was fine until the end of the day until i was once agin pulled into the heads office and told that i am no longer invited to stay after easter. I didnt get to say goodbye to the children. My team are disgusted and upset and fearful for their jobs. In some ways i am glad to be out of such an unsupportive school, but i feel that after all my hard work these last two terms, i was made a scapegoat for the obvious shortcomings in their training and support procedure. I admit that i made mistakes, but i am only human and was not given the opportunity to put things right.
    I've failed to mention that the headteacher is only temporary and has been in place a number of weeks. I feel i have been made an example of to other staff. The other senior manager was nothing but supportive about the incident, she helped me to see where i made mistakes but didnt take away my dignity, speaking to me fairly and acknowledging the lack of support given to me. My agent has been nothing but supportive, i phoned him straight after to explain what had happened. He phoned again today to say that the head teacher had called him in to discuss my dismissal and that could he have my side of the story. After a fairly long phonecall he assured me that this incident wont affect my future work with them but i still feel deflated. I dont know if anyone has any advice, i would certainly appreciate it, but i just needed to vent. Thanks for reading this very long moan!
    </td></tr></table>

3. This is a terrible situation. Headteachers are ruthless! I would imagine they have simply changed their minds due to funding issues about you staying on and this is their 'get out' clause. DO NOT let it get you down. If this is how they treat people you are better off finding somewhere else. I was in a similar situation in a secondary school-they were given a notice to improve and began pciking the old staff of one by one putting extra strain on them and putting them on incapability etc. It is a tough world but you deserve better than this. Please don't let it get to you it simply isnt worth it. I know because I let it get to me and now I am no longer in teaching because they knocked my confidence so badly, I am earning a fraction of what I am worth and it is very difficult.
    Hope this helps [​IMG]

4. Hi,

<font size="3">I
    can feel your shock through all you have written and hope that in a few days
    that will subside and you will start to feel appropriately angry. My concern
    is that someone who has clearly given the very best of care with all good
    intentions should be treated in such a demoralising way. Are you a member of a
    union as I do think you should follow this incident through with a meeting.
    When working for an agency, and for all the agent may appear supportive, there
    can be situations where money comes before professional conduct. You deserve
    support from a union and I think it is important you do this in order you gain
    peace of mind. The school in question must be in some state of disarray if they
    have yet to have a permanent head teacher. Do not let this incident unduly discourage you. Do
    not leave the profession but accept that this is a career where there are many
    pitfalls and many dangers. Gone are the days when teachers were trusted and
    respected by all - but there are still many who do respect the work we do and
    the care we show to our pupils. Give yourself some time to come to terms with
    this unpleasant episode - but don't let it go without gaining assurance that
    this will not be mentioned in future references. Try to put it into perspective
    although I do appreciate it will be hard to do.</font>

5. Is there anyway you can be more specific about the details. It's difficult to comment on the incident or your conduct without knowing exactly what happened.