1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions....please don't throw me out of 'Cookery'....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am quite capable of baking a cheesecake....but have discovered the delights of Chocolate Philly on Gingernuts!
    I own a joghurt maker, and can make 'proper' joghurt......but have just discovered Easy-Yo....and it tastes really good!
    I can make my own suet pastry, and pie filling....but there is a tin of Fray-Bentos Steak and Kidney Pud in the cupboard that is calling me "eat me beth...have me for dinner tonight...beeeeeeeeeth.....come to me......beeeeeeeeeeth eat me....stodgy pastry beth....you know you want it...beeeeeeeeth!!!!"....maybe if I add some steamed cabbage and some crushed carrots it will count as having 'cooked' a meal?

2. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I am quite capable of baking a cheesecake....but have discovered the delights of Chocolate Philly on Gingernuts!
    I own a joghurt maker, and can make 'proper' joghurt......but have just discovered Easy-Yo....and it tastes really good!
    I can make my own suet pastry, and pie filling....but there is a tin of Fray-Bentos Steak and Kidney Pud in the cupboard that is calling me "eat me beth...have me for dinner tonight...beeeeeeeeeth.....come to me......beeeeeeeeeeth eat me....stodgy pastry beth....you know you want it...beeeeeeeeth!!!!"....maybe if I add some steamed cabbage and some crushed carrots it will count as having 'cooked' a meal?

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Fray Bentos pie in a can is one of my guilty pleasures!

4. Phew what a relief, I thought I was the only one who cheats!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Beth, do we need to stage an intervention with you and the chocolate cream cheese?! [​IMG]
    I love the Fray Bentos pies - the pastry is to die for! I think we all cheat (don't we?!) from time to time but that's life!

6. bizent

bizent Star commenter

Oooh choc philly is AMAZING!!!

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

No....I'm fine....I can stop any time I want....
    *checks fridge to make sure her supplies are still going strong*
    just to prove it, I'll not have any today....
    *shudders violently*
    ...oh just a minute,,,,,it's the new episode of Suits tonight....just a couple of biscuits with the chocolate cheese...and a blob of greekstyle easy-yo joghurt on top?....no more than two...maybe three....or four...
    I'll stop tomorrow.....so maybe I should finish off the chocolate cheese I have...you wouldn;t want me to waste it would you?....that's it, I'll finish this lot and stop toimoorow...
    *considers phoning her driver for a sneaky extra supermarket trip this week.....*

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I have been known to dine on Jacob's Cream Crackers spread with salad cream.
    During the week I rarely make my own Thai curry paste. It's not so much the making of them (all you need is a blender!) but the getting of the ingredients that I can't be ***** with. Thai Taste ones are pretty good once you've added lime juice and fish sauce and added some frozen lime leaves to the simmering curry.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

I have a huge variety of spices: during the week I rely on Patak's to make a curry.
    I have a healthy basil plant, pine nuts and oil in the cupboard, garlic and Parmesan (well, Grana, actually) in the fridge + ... a jar of Saclà.
    I have a bread machine, flour, yeast, salt, sugar, water and oil: we still eat bought bread (especially for the children's packed lunches - can you imagine the ridicule if they had "home made" bread???)
    There's a time and a place for everything.......

10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

This thread finally drove me to Sainsburys to get some chocolate philly. Much nicer than I expected and a real treat spread on a hob nob!
    I have many guilty secrets in the larder/freezer but the most commonly used thing are the frozen waffles. Potatoes ready to add to any dish after 4 mins a side under the grill. Makes life a lot easier!

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

Laughing Cow

enough said

12. I don't like chocolate philly but my kids love it. I make a cheat's cheesecake for them on top of crushed gingernuts.

One of my guilty pleasures in the UK is a Frey Bentos - there is ALWAYS one lurking in the cupboard somewhere (one of Dad's guilty pleasures as well, you see).

I am also still adamant that Bird's Custard tastes better than the homemade version....

13. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I adore Fray Bentos Steak & Kidney pie - I discovered that you can buy small ones now - yum.
    Have just been in £1 shop and bought Vesta Beef Rissotto - another one of my favourites. I can now make rissotto but somehow the packet one just reminds me of the 1970's when I used to make it for my daughter and I as a treat!

14. I must admit, when I was Uruguay I did consider a side trip to Frey Bentos, but it was a long way, and apparently the origional factory is closed but the locals are amused at the number of British people who still visit.

I am not going to try chocolate philly - I think it would be one of those things I can't just have a bit of.

15. Weekday Pataks and Sacla here too.
    If I get in late and just can't be bothered I love pasta and just a little bit too much rocket or coriander pesto - just the wrong side of sharp goes lovely with a small glass of red.
    I have a few emergency tins of bombay potato, curry lentils and such like too! I can be very, very lazy when just feeding me! They make great staffroom lunches too - especially as no-one knows whether I have made them or not [​IMG]

16. Definitely a fan of Sacla and Pataks...and Dolmio [​IMG]

17. BelleDuJour

Now I need (that is need, not want) a Fray Bentos for supper tonight.
    and tomorrow night I will be off to Poundland [​IMG]

18. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Good to see so many fellow 'cheats'!
    Belle...go for the pie!...You definitely 'need' it (and deserve it too - after your appraisal....I love your style - champagne last night and tinned pie tonight!)
    I do have a jar of Pataks on the shelf - paste not cook-in sauce. Usually, I do my own spices, but Pataks is a great 'stand-by'.
    Birds custard is yum! I always have the 'just-add-water' variety on hand....there are days when I 'need' a quick pud... and banana & custard always hits the spot.
    I used to love the Vesta Chow Mein....it was the crispy noodles!

19. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

Birds Custard is always in the cupboard for when my parents come round and occaisonally I will resort to jarred sauces (especially the shephers pie one as I can never get mine thick and beefy enough).
    As for the pies... [​IMG] I can honestly not think of anything worse than that soggy/stodgy pastry

20. BelleDuJour

It is in the Aga as I type.
    Yes Bethannie................I like my style too [​IMG]