1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of an Early Years Practitioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Jan 31, 2010.

1. jomaimai

jomaimai Established commenter

A lovely discussion!

I confess that...
    • I really look for coats and cardigans.
    • I hate when staff complain about other staff not doing their work.
    • I love to chat with my EYFS children

2. PACristina

PACristina New commenter

I confess that. I hate laminating lots of resources for the outdoors area, just for them to be ruined in few weeks.
    I confess that sometimes on cold days we open the outdoors area later and close it sooner just to try to keep us and the children warm.
    I confess that lesson observations make me nervous and they feel mostly like "cutting your head" off if it is not perfect.
    I confess that I enjoy and think it is necessary to explaining topics, lessons and concepts to my class, as well as giving them the opportunity to independently join in. But that often makes my carpet time longer than 15 min and I find it difficult to reduce this time.
    I confess that I feel confused about how a proper lesson should work in a nursery as when I am trying to have structured lessons I am being criticized they are to structured, and when I have more ...free flow lessons I am being criticized that I forgot some points.
    I think EYFS has a much more amount of workload as there is not only planning and assessments to do, but implies lots of physical effort daily, setting up indoors/outdoors areas as well as half termly "play" with moving around furniture to refresh the learning environment and make it more appealing.
    Many times I spend my own money on resources, and never get them back.
    I work so much every day and I still end up taking work home in the weekends.
    With all of that,
    I am still not being recognised for my efforts and capacity as a teacher in my setting and it feels so frustrating.

Pomza likes this.
  3. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Sounds like you're doing a great job to me :)

4. chickenpatter1

chickenpatter1 New commenter

i hate it that all through Reception we struggle unsupported with children with ASD, aspergers, ADHD etc and are constantly told there is no funding to provide any help. Yet magically when they go to year 1 they all get 1 to 1s!

Teachallover and LunaBlue123 like this.
  5. lizdot

lizdot New commenter

Funny that chickenpatter!

6. owieczka1985

owieczka1985 New commenter

Hate Jolly Phonics songs soooo bad!!!