1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of an Early Years Practitioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ...what? That's madness!!
    Oh my lord the same thing happens to me!!! It drives me mad, setting such a bad example!!!

2. This is the funniest thing, It has really cheered my night up!!!
    I confess
    I too promise to look for lost jumpers/hats/scarfs and don't bother
    I would take directed teaching over child initated any day
    We decide the topics and pretend the children have come up with it
    I don't let the kids get out anything they want and close area if they get too messy
    I couldn't survive without my nursery nurse, she's a god send but struggle with other members of the 'team'!
    I have a sand phobia and wont let the kids sweep up as it gets everywhere and makes me freak out!
    I hate being outside unless its a heatwave
    I tell the kids i'm not a dog when they pat me!!!!
    there is so much more i could add but they've all been mentioned before. So relived that actually it's not that i can't cope but more that i'm just human!!!

3. I love your confessions - I pretend to have 'guided reading' and then have a group with me- but read with one child and the others have 'child initiated play. The rest of the class?? a computer group, an outside group, a construction group........
    I recently went on training course led by a leading teacher. She was talking about using 'undefined' equipment for example leaving a block of clay outside and letting the children explore the material. i am doing this next week when she is visiting and cannot wait to see what the children do with it!! I may be getting cynical but I think it will end up as messy play.
    Anyone else using 'undefined' materials. Think it must be the latest craze, phase unless you know better.....

4. My deputy head says "Don't knock on me I'm not a door, and if I was I'd have a doorbell!"
    It cracks me up everytime lol.

5. I say - OW OW please stop hitting me OW who's that hitting me it hurts lololol love the doorbell one though not sure if my kids would get it though

6. To be honest I think she says it because it confuses them haha!!

7. I would like to point out the the EYFS should NOT be taught, if the
    principles were followed correctly. However, it still has to be taught
    due to the academic nature of some of the ELGs. FS teachers are NOT the
    only ones who understand the EYFS. I have a degree in Early Childhood
    Studies, and major elements of my course are based on the
    documentation, and placements to use it in practice, but also include
    the theory that should be used to inform practice for the entire of the
    EYFS, including Reception.
    I find it frustrating that some
    teachers, not all, but some, seem to feel that they are a) not
    practitioners, like the rest of the EY workforce, and b) better than
    non-teachers, even though some of us worked equally hard to obtain our
    degrees and are essentially equally qualified (to NVQ6).
    Just
    for the record - I'm not an advocator of the EYFS. I think that it
    contradicts itself, and until academic goals are no longer a part of
    the EYFS it will never fulfil its goals. The whole point is to save
    formal teaching until KS1 but that just isn't happening! I agree that there's nothing wrong with adult directed activities, but formal teaching shouldn't be in the EYFS.

8. So what's your confession?

9. Kids who pat me I pat back
    There I said it
    Will i get struck off for abuse?
    Same with shouting, rabbiting (block my ears).
    Sometimes you just have to talk in a language they understand - which is a sign of a 'practitioner' who REALLY does have the ability to meet the kids at their own level!

In other words I have the ability to justify my practice in some form of 'eduspeak'.

10. I've been known to reply to the "Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssss" (you can tell how trivial the tale is going to be by the length they drag the word out to) with "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatt?" delivered in exactly the same dreadful tone of voice as they have to me!
    It drives me crazy - worst bit is my new married name is one that can be similarly dragged out, unlike my unspellable maiden name!

11. I confess that EYFS practitoners who feel aggrieved as above bug me.
    They may feel that NVQ6 EYFS practitoners have parity of qualifications with teachers but do they have parity of job description and culpability?
    Interestingly teachers' payscale goes up to about £35,000. How many NVQ6 practitioners are on a similar payscale?
    I think the fact that teachers can do the maths and think ahead and take the qualificaion that gives them a professional wage shows that they have some intelligence.

12. Ramjam

Ramjam New commenter

This thread is so therapeutic!
    I confess that my CI activities are sometimes only CI because that's what I have organised.
    I confess that like many others I seldom look seriously for unnamed clothing.
    I confess that I hate working next to someone whose life revolves round post-its to show she has 'caught' someone doing something.
    I confess that I actually sit and test children to see if they recognise numbers or can say sounds in response to graphemes.
    I confess that if a child can count and order numbers when they come to school, I give them something to stretch them instead of what the other children are doing.
    I confess that when being observed I plan lots of outdoor activities, especially with my focus group.
    I confess that I agreed to change my PE slot to the last lesson so that parents who swear their child always dresses themselves with ease at home, have to wait in the rain while their child takes 20 minutes to put skirt, socks and shoes on.

13. This thread is priceless. I agreee with all above and would add my own confession:
    The inspectors are due in and I am going home this weekend with a brand new post it note pad and my CA is going home with a brand new post it note pad (different colour) and we are "doing" our observations since November!!!
    Oh and I am a teacher not a practitioner or a leader or a main person, whatever. And my Reception children are told this constantly; that way the message gets out to their parents!!!!!

14. I am a lot less qualified than most on here, but have found comfort in all that has been said. I am feeling more positive after a bad week after reading this, so thank you everyone.

I confess

1) Free flow? really? great in summer, awful in winter.
    2) Lack of 'teaching' I can do, why is ok for a 4 year old to not be able to hold a pencil properly?
    3) Snack bar, oohh great, kids snack for most of the day and won't eat regular meals, that is if they have a snack at all!
    4) Observations, or more to the point learning journeys, I haven't written up mine since November, I would rather play with the children than just watch, after all don't small children learn from imitation?
    5) Staff team members that complain that I play with the children too much, sometimes the best way to break the ice with them is to be a little bit silly too.

Keep it everyone.

15. Too much?! How bizarre! Good for you I say!! [​IMG]

16. Please don't take this the wrong way and do see this as a positive message...Don't waste your weekend! Ofsted will want to see how well you know and interact with the children, not what they did 5 months ago! I can barely keep on top of learning journeys but please don't feel you have to spend a weekend writing backlogs of observations - you know your children well enough to know where they've come from to get where they are now and where they're going to go next. Fight the post its! [​IMG]

17. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We did fine with Ofsted at Easter without a single post it note to show them.

18. With all the criticism of TES early years teachers - and others - re the obsessive observation and evidencing regimes - especially all the post-its comments - I would think that many inspectors would be embarrassed to be seen to be looking for post-its evidence.
    We've been pointing at the naked emperor for some considerable time now. When we have the outcome of the election, we should be straight on the case of changing the teaching climate and obsessive paperwork of any description.[​IMG]
    Teachers need their evenings and weekends back - and children need their teachers back!

19. Perhaps in the future we could cover the naked emperor with a lot of post-it notes?

20. Thanks for that I just had milk come out of my nose! LOL! Bravo :D