1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of an Early Years Practitioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Jan 31, 2010.

1. mac64

mac64 New commenter

I feel I could solve many problems wit my staple gun rather than fall down - whoops!

2. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

solving problems with a staple gun is expressly forbidden by the legal requirements of the EYFS
    . ...............
    I confess
    I don't understand 30 to whatever months and 40 to whatever months in the Development Matters.
    Whatever.

3. ...it's ok mac I am here to catch you...
    I have to confess that I am pretty frree form with my staple gun...
    I confess that I never measure.. never use red backing paper ... always use good signing.. and mount at a jaunty angle ...
    I do change displays at least three times a term and involve the children.
    Celebrate chidlren's wotk and celebrate it quickly is my motto,
    I also confess my walls have mould and need redecorating so it is only the displays that hold it all together and make the room look inviting.

4. Yes, I am with you on that one. Do you think that they had space to fill or there is some precise cut off points that we as mere practitoners don't know about?
    Practitioners is very difficult to type- perhaps we should be called *** for short.

5. oops got censored there
    t*ts for short

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

We're pracioners. Anything more would be counter to Health and Safety.

7. ...with or without staple gun?

8. inky

inky Lead commenter

Definitely without. I'm shocked that your setting hasn't come up with an Appropriate Euphmism for staple guns. Let's face it, guns are a no-no.

I'm very disappointed in you, Hedda.

9. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Actually I meant to type staple/stapling facilitator which I use regularly along with my encapsulator having read the relevant H&S regulations. As for the other (I really hate saying it, reading or typing it so I'm not going to ever again - you know I'm referring to...) I have encapsulated it all and placed in the relevant location along with many other important bits (some of the confiscated objects and several show and tell items. I think the children are now adults. I forgot to give them back).

10. mac64, this made me laugh, even though I don't know what an encapsulator is. It sounds like something I could really do with though.
    I confess that I guard my staplegun like a Rottweiler, and also the thingie that removes the staples from the boards. I also guard my sharp pair of scissors, my Copydex with its lid screwed on properly, and of course my digital camera, which I never let the children use: though why am I guarding that? it only makes me have to take photos for the you-know-what--really, now that I think of it, I should let the children get their grubby little meathooks on it and destroy it in short order like they did with all the special Brio trainset pieces I bought with my own money...

11. I confess i agree and with all the responses and still value direct teaching and learning! Am I a bad person for it!!!!!

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I am a bad bad person because I encourage the children to touch, nay use all of the above and only supervise the sharp pointy scissors ...

13. Advice I was given when starting teaching, by a very old seasoned professional:
    Get your own nice big sharp pair of scissors, and your own staplegun, label everything and hide it and guard it with your life.

Advice I have always followed and thus been, on many occasions, the only adult in the school with a non-kid-sized pair of scissors to cut stuff out with, and a semi-working (for it's evil) staplegun.

14. I confess that on my return from 3 months sick leave I did away with rolling snack time that my deputy instigated behind my back and returned to all together snack time. Every one is happier now, they sit for snack and join in.
    I confess to being really ratty about the state of my storeroom as nothing got tidied away properly while they were faffing around with rolling snack.

15. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

I confess to feeling a certain amount of smugness when I heard that the child who went on holiday 3 days early (and made sure we ALL knew that they going away and disrupted the rest of the class by telling us) didn't have such a fantastic time as expected!! Shame!!!

16. I too have enjoyed reading all above - light relief from planning!
    just some things that annoy me-- staff who don't wash fruit before they give it to the children!
    and of course not forgetting all the things I buy with my own money and never claim or get back! (like most teachers).
    and then there are the times when you've just got them settled and someone comes in to room over a trivial matter and all hell breaks loose! !
    there are other things but that's all I can think of for now.
    better go and make the tea!

17. I confess that I'm on this forum when I should be sorting post-it notes.
    I confess that I helped myself to a packet of milky bar buttons from an extra party bag brought in by someone with a birthday (guiltily after everyone had left).
    I confess that I sometimes throw away those little bits of toys that get put into my pocket as the day wears on, along with bits of playdough, blutack, an interesting bit of leaf, a bit of gravel?? and 5 pen tops (only on very bad days- I promise!)
    I confess that I love working with just one or two children at a time- it's so rewarding.

18. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

When the ed psych, speech therapist or other EXPERT THAT HAS NEVER WORKED IN A SCHOOL, comes back for a return visit, we suddenly remember all those impractical suggestions of what we should be doing with the SEN child and do them. When they see that it obviously doesnt work, we tell them it isnt from not trying, even though it partly is.
    We try and wind an SEN child up before an ed psych observes so they can see them at their worst, otherwise it will be the one and only time they are perfect angels.
    I wanted to slap my TA's face yesterday for being so defiant, negative and undermining, then ruining some pictures by making a complete mess of mounting them. I was positively cheering today when she was on a course and myself and the rest of the TAs had a lovely , relaxed and positive day without her.

19. I had one TA who had driven her previous class teacher crackers (so it wasn't just me!), and the advice given from the deputy head when I finally went to her with a list of concerns over this woman's timekeeping, attitude, behaviour in class (she interrupted my lesson once to show me pictures of her tortoise), and attitude toward the children was to plan opportunities for her to take groups of children somewhere quiet to work as a small group, or complete a task - purely to maintain my own sanity! The morning she went with a group to measure the playground (I sent her out wiht the utter sweeties, left myself with all the terrors) was bliss - she wasn't there stirring up things and sending tricky children loopy!

20. perriwinkle

perriwinkle New commenter

I confess that the jingle bells that I shake to ask the class to stop & listen, I have recently shaken at my NN as it was REALLY winding me up that every time the chn would stop and listen, she would carry on talking to them!!!!
    AAAAAAGHH!!! I know she is partially deaf, and does use a hearing aid.......however, she would look at me, see the children were listening to an instruction and carry on talking!!!!!

Sorry, rant over now :/