1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of an Early Years Practitioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Jan 31, 2010.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

Grumbleweed is definitely one of the good guys:

Posted by:
    grumbleweed 05/02/2009 at 18:04

Joined on
    19/11/2005

Report abuse

I
    was gutted when in my last OFTSED we were absolultey slated for
    'reading to children' when we should have been doing text work
    (nursery). It was the last straw for me,

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Grumbleweed, I remember those posts. They appalled me.

Tell me that you're using your wisdom in your advisory post. There was anoher poster on here who's gone over to the Dark Side, as Hedda melodramatically calls it.
    Does this mean there's hope for us all?

3. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I confess that i really dont know what i'm doing anymore.
    Messy play? is there really a need for it?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Some of the time. Not de rigeur indoors and out every day. When does that happen in the ideal real life of a child?
    I confess that I think i's daf to have sand and water indoors and out non-stop. If you have to endure that, you can soon put a stop to it by letting the children wash sandy things in the sink. before long they'll have blocked the school's plumbing system and commom sense ill prevail.

In the meantime, I wish my parents were still alive so I could do them neglect on the grounds that I suffered lifelong damage because I didn't do messy play every weekday.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

WILL
    This keyboard is driving me potty.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

But I can't blame it for leaving out the FOR in 'do them for neglect'!

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I confess I have never done Show and Tell. And that I thought they only did that in America.

9. Oh God Show and Tell is the bane of my life as a supply teacher - all you get all day from 9am throughout the school is "Can I show my thing yet... can I show my thing yet... can I show my thing yet"
    However many times you repeat "If we have any time just before hometime"..."can I show my thing yet" Then you have to fake enthusiasm for whichever piece of plastic tat it is, while they draw out... "well... my momaaah (god I hate that word in the Nottingham dialect) bought this for me at Tesco last night and it's reallllllllllllly special to me......"
    Least further up the school you get interesting stuff like the kid who brought the old skin of his tarantula in... at which point I was fighting the urge to be running out of the door and halfway down the corridor away from it and instead had a fixed smile of terror on my face trying to continue talking to the class! (Thank you so much to the colleague who gleefully had suggested that all the other classes would LLOOOVEEEE to see that one!)

10. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I do like to think that Im one of the good guys (!!) and thanks inky (!) for reminding me about those awful days.. it was also me that got bashed heavily (not literally of course) for NOT wanting to do reading recovery in the nursery (yes nursery).
    I didnt want to interrupt your thread about confessions though which is why I didnt respond to your earlier post. I didnt think this was the right place.

11. I confess that I cannot abide gloop!
    Every stage of gloop seem to have mess potential that hangs around on furniture, clothes and shoes. The five minutes of pleasure is followed by days of gloop clearing. It is just too labour intensive.
    One of my colleagues loves gloop but never clears it up. She always says that she will wait for it to go hard and then deal with it. So in out art cupboard there will sit this tray containing a mass of festering gloop until one of us, usually me, and never colleague who loves gloop, deals with it. It gathers mould very quickly.
    A few terms ago, I ignored the festering gloop mass and a mould formed and it began to smell and look as if a creature from the deep would emerge soon,
    Bravely, I asked gloop loving colleague to deal with it. There was alot of mumbling about it being unrreasonable to ask her to deal with a health hazard and she threw it out tray and all.
    Gloop has been off the menu ever since.

12. Ah, that was her way of stopping people asking her if she will do gloop! "Last one went mouldy and was a health hazard, I'm not doing it again!" That would be her confession. :)

13. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

I took my last PPA at home and laid it on thick with the TA and head about doing my medium term planning. I then changed the date on last years 'Spring' theme planning, changed 3 objectives and printed it out! I then had a very long cup of tea and a biscuit.
    I left my school bag at school so couldnt do anything else at home. This time it really was by accident.
    I know that we are meant to plan to children's needs, so these plans are for wallpaper anyway as we never follow them, but at least it looks as though I have planned to the head and rest of school.
    Although we try to plan to children's interests, I refuse to continually do super hero's, dinosaurs and transport. I personally believe it is a form of child abuse if children in FS do not do a 'Spring' topic and plant plants and watch tadpoles grow. I have never met a child yet who has not got excited by growing things, digging and bug hunts. Anyway I need to do 'Spring' as it lifts my spirits after the S.A.D months so there!

14. I have loved this thread, over the past 6 months I have felt completely brainwashed by the EYFS, What is the problem with coloring pages? I found it to be very theraputic when I was a kid, do they think that us my mums will have a continious rolling snack at home for our children, whats wrong with children all sitting together for snack! NOT ALLOWED TOPICS whats all that about! Early years advisers always telling me you should be doing this when one of them is actually a teacher in Y2 surely she should be in her own classroom teaching her own class instead of a supply teacher or TA. The outside area should be an extension of the inside not in January it shouldn't. PLANNING looks great on paper but none of it actually gets done who's idea was this it certainly wasn't someone who actually works in a pre-school was it!
    Pre-school assistant and Proud mum of two wonderful BOYS

15. i confess that i HATE it when the HT informs the fs staff of how things should be done in early years only moments after actually stating out loud that they doesn't have a clue, never worked in fs, zilch, only looked through the eyfs legal requirements as it had been stated that what had been <strike>requested</strike> ordered to happen was actually illegal!

as i'm in hate mode i also hate the LA advisors who <strike>suggest</strike> order such crappy things to start occuring in good time which actually means immediately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and with that i hate the fact that as the HT doen't know their eyfs ar*e from their elbow, they choose to ignor the information from fs staff on every level and instead take the opinion and guidance as offered by the LA in order to please regardless of how the children are affected and what is best for them. A nodding dog comes to mind.

EVERYONE hates it that the NNEB who gets paid more than any other TA and some NQTs/RQTs is so pathetic they make every single teacher and most TA's want to walk out in protest

i confess that some days i know i am fantastic, one of the best teachers there could be and other days i just dont feel like i have a clue

i confess that during a meeting with fs & ks1 staff it emerged that there were a good few development matters statements which were just not understood clearly, guidance or examples could not be found and we had to just collectively agree on what they meant

the enjoyment of teaching is no longer out weighing the hatred of the eyfs

16. I love you all. We should start a rebellion The first post of this conversation could be me.
    I hate thinking of ways of involving parents in the profile
    I hate attending management meetings which do not include EY
    I hate sweeping up sand/ mopping up water
    I hate post it notes
    I love it that Only Fs teachers oops! practitioners understand EYFS
    I love my children and waching them play
    I love to be able to talk to them and plan for things which interest them
    I confess to filling in planning in retrospect sometimes

17. totally agree!! some children NEED to learn table manners as they truely do not understand that spitting food all over the snack/shouting and singing whilst having a mouth full of food/scratching and poking every item of snack/putting plates and bowls on their head/tasting every single item/walking or running around the setting with food/leaving food in resource trays or smeared on walls or in the hair of the dolls and teddies is not acceptable

nor is it acceptable to expect parents to pay promptly every week for their child to have access to snack that has been dropped on the floor and placed back on the table, sneezed all over, had bites taken from it, been sat out for ages on a table . . . i could go on but i'm sure others have had a much better experince of on going snack than what i have had[​IMG]

18. I'm a student teacher so don't yet have as many things to admit to as many people on this thread but after a recent placement in a recpetion class (which was very lovely!) I have found that-
    I HATE reading schemes, especially for four year olds, they are really boring and didn't help me to understand the children's CLL development at all!
    Despite everything we are told at uni open ended questions aren't always best, talking to some children is like getting blood from a stone!
    It really aggravates me when people look at me as if I'm mad when I tell them I want to teach in nursery or reception when I'm qualified

19. Other confession:
    I hate the feel of play-dough. I can work with kids using it but it's like nails down a chalkboard to me deep inside.
    I LIKED doing displays... I LIKED faffing about on an evening, generally avoiding marking, by being creative and making stuff on the walls look nice. They never turn out right when delegated (apart from when the world's best ever TA did them - she was fab at displays and brought chocolate cake in!) - of all the tasks taken off teachers - GIVE ME MY FUN BIT OF STRESS RELIEF BACK!!!!
    I also twitch inwardly when I go to the gym - the lettering on their notice board isn't evenly spaced, the borders on their staff profiles are inconsistent sizes and the middle left one's crooked and it drives me nuts... I just want to take my staple gun in and offer to re-do it properly!

20. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Dizziblonde - I also twitch inwardly when I go to the gym - the lettering on their
    notice board isn't evenly spaced, the borders on their staff profiles
    are inconsistent sizes and the middle left one's crooked and it drives
    me nuts... I just want to take my staple gun in and offer to re-do it
    properly!

I too twitch just a little now and then when I see tiny little details (well I don't think they are so tiny....). I fell I could solve many problems with my staple gun....