1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of an Early Years Practitioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I confess to banning show and tell

2. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Not a confession just something I heard yesterday relating to IWB/telly...

A child now in a classroom I use to teach in was talking about the big cinema screen. After a few questions I realised he meant the IWB. He said that they use it for watching DVDs and it's a 'big cinema screen not a whiteboard because we're not allowed to write on it'...

So Julia it's moved on from being a telly to a big cinema screen...

3. mac64

mac64 New commenter

I so glad Msz. I usually found a very good reason for not doing it.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

DO-YOU-TAKE-IT-TO-BED-WITH-YOU?
    DO-YOU-LOVE-IT-VERY-MUCH?
    DO-YOU-PLAY-WIH-IT-IN-THE-PARK?

etc
    all delivered in best Dalek accents!

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

Nobody ever does Tell.It's always blooming Show, and the same things every week.
    I showed my thumb once. Got some really interesting questions.

6. mac64

mac64 New commenter

I pulled some muscles in my arm and back last week. Just read your last post Inky and laughed too hard and pulled some more aching muscles haha ouch ocuh hahahaouch haha ouch haha

7. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Inky as before OWWWW haha ouch ocuh hahahaouch haha ouch haha

8. I had to comment re: Show and tell....I HATE it, and as a result do not do it anymore. So many parents comment that it is real shame that we don't have show and tell, but have they ever had to sit through week after week of...
    "Do you like it?"
    "Where did you get it?"
    "Is it your favourite?"
    Just about enough to send me into a coma. My highlight of S+T was a child who insisted she had sthg to show, and then proceeded to take one of her kirby grips out and showed that to the class.....and did not say one word, just sat there like a lemon!
    Let's not forget the classric s+t response to the following question: "Why did you bring that item for show and tell?"
    child: "because my mum said I had to"

I love this thread,
    I have to add to my earlier confessions that I rarely plan or do focussed Circletime/PSHE sessions. We talk about 'issues' as they arise, and generally have a chat in a circle most days, that seems to achieve much more.

Lucy

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh Mac I'm s sorry! When are we two going to meet up by the way? I'll help you down the steps...

10. inky

inky Lead commenter

Count yourself lucky. You could have said
    "Right, you've shown. Next?"

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

What I did instead [when I had the authority to make the choice] was Concert Time.

OK, so listening to the same songs over and over again isn't exactly inspiring but it's a zilllion times better than S&T. All the children want to perform and are happy to have helpers if they are shy. It also means that we do lots of singing.

12. mac64

mac64 New commenter

Littllucy... as before OWWWW haha ouch ocuh hahahaouch haha ouch haha

Inky I do supply so I have more time...

13. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I confess to being an advisory teacher, and have laughed at some of your posts..

14. inky

inky Lead commenter

Right. Got you, Grumbleweed.
    Pierced like a butterfly..

How will these posts affect YOUR practice?

15. re. show and tell:
    I confess to getting my TA to do it every week as I call children up individually to do phonics with them.
    I also confess that when my son was in reception I let him take in a favourite stone each week for his show and tell, knowing that it would drive his teacher mad.

16. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I haven't done Show and Tell for years. But we do have a news time twice a day. I use it to fill the few minutes while the register monitors take the register to the office. It's quite bearable as I know - and the children know - that as soon as the register monitors come back to class, then nobody else will get a turn to tell their news. I can even cope with the child who tells us about his new bed every single time he gets chosen.

And since I started doing daily news, I've NEVER (fingers crossed) had a child ask to show something.

17. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

As a proviso to getting out of whole school assembly, we agreed to do a class assembly once a week as a unit.
    I confess we use the time to use our song sack
    I confess to banning to certain children from accessing certain areas, for a day, due their bad behaviour in said areas
    I confess to opening a packet of bourbons for afternoon snack if I feel the need for a biscuit fix. Sometimes a banana just doesn't hit the spot.
    I confess to sending up a prayer of thanks to the god of illness when certain children are not in

18. I confess to pretending I'd forgotton that someone had weed on the floor in the loo cos I knew my TA would clean it up!!! Am I Bad?

19. I confess that I actually sit and test children to see if they recognise numerals not just hope that they all spontaneously show me that they know them.
    I confess that children who can order numbers to 20 when they start in September don't "prove" it till May or June!!
    I confess that I "hear" readers 3 times a week and don't do guided reading.
    I confess that we don't have musical instruments in the class!
    I confess that I send my TA outside when I need to get some writing or maths recording done in peace.
    God I am getting the sack for sure.

20. OK I wasn't going to do this but...
    I confess:
    - I have told my class every week since Christmas that we will 'start show and tell next week' .
    - At a governors meeting a couple of weeks ago I made the ordeal of filling in profiles and doing evidence for learning journeys seem so pointless and irrelevant some of them looked as if they were going to fall off their chairs in disbelief. I didn't even have to exaggerate.
    - I kept a straight face when informed by a parent in my class that their child will only drink filtered water and what provision can we make if they are provided with tap water with their lunch?