1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of an Early Years Practitioner

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Hedda Gabler, Jan 31, 2010.

1. ... a lightherated thread to get us through the winter months...
    Please contribute your own confessions
    I confess
    <ol>[*]that I want to be acknowledged as a teacher and hate the term practitioner as it makes me feel devalued [*] that I enjoy direct teaching [*] that 80% of my assessments are not made through observing children in their own ci play [*]that I detest superhero play[*]that I am a coward and lie about all of the above to any EYAT </ol>

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

nice that EY have their own version of this thread! :)
    EY advisers don't match their advice to the setting
    i hate the word 'setting' as well as 'practioner'
    i hate being outside
    i hate doing long obs on CI as i just find it dull when i want to get in there with the kids
    i think the ELGs should be changed because there's nothing about being able to follow instructions, being toilet trained, and understanding the word no - (there is but it's damn wishywashy)

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I'm not sure I qualify now I have moved to Y2 but ...
    I confess
    I'm loving actually teaching children instead of facilitating their learning (and we are still having fun and learning from doing and play)
    and
    I confess I'm only half annoyed when people say what's it like being a <u>real</u> teacher now

4. I confess to losing my rag with some people when they say i must have an easy job just playing with children all day.
    AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. I hate the amount of paperwork/red tape we have to wade through to prove we know what we are doing???
    I hate the way some children wreck our equipment after 5 minutes, especially books.
    I also hate the phrase "practitioner". I am not practicing, this is my job!!!!!!

Sorry not very light hearted. Bit of a mini rant.

6. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

I don't let them play guns. [​IMG]
    If they make too much mess somewhere, sometimes I close the area. [​IMG]
    I've got a 'thinking chair' but really it's a naughty chair and it does quite good business. [​IMG]
    I tell the parents that I have looked very VERY hard for their child's jumper with no name in. I haven't. [​IMG]

cathyg27 likes this.
  7. inky

inky Lead commenter

I feel secretly amused when children throw tonsil-tantrums with full waa-waa backup.
    I 've always somehow known that children learn through play without needing to be told the ****** obvious.
    I believe in board games.
    I think colouring-in has a place in Early Years.

8. I confess:

I think there's a place for the word 'naughty'.

Parents who don't want their child to get messy drive me mad.

I can't stand it when my head teacher calls children in Foundation 'little people'.

9. inky

inky Lead commenter

I confess to a fondness for the Last Word.

10. Msz

I confess I hated it when the head and deputy head lump the foundation stage together under the heading ...NURSERY!!

11. And I hate it when the Headteacher and deputy head say Key Stage One when they mean Foundation plus Key Stage One grrrr (nearly got me out of doing a parents evening though- the letter to parents said "parents' evenings for KS 1 and KS2..." Unfortunately the mistake was recognised just in time!)

12. I confess...
    Sometimes when I'm in a staff meeting I snooze off until I suddenly, occasionally hear someone say "Foundation Stage".
    I sometimes forget to state my learning Objective and Success Criteria in a child friendly way and quickly write it up while the kids are playing/learning onto a laminated sheet just incase my head comes in! (Yeah, like the kids notice!!!)
    I thought it would be easier than it is!

13. I confess
    • that I want to join in when the children are having fun and not just watch them.
    • that I don't enjoy stalking the children with a camera.
    • that I do what is best for my class even when it is the opposite to the advisers ideas.
    • I don't like being outside in the rain and cold to just stand and watch, but I did enjoy the snow.
    • I find it odd that some parents just can't remember to complete forms on time (everytime)
    • I trained to be a teacher and want to be called one.
    • that I hate changing my timetable to fit in with other classes because we only 'play'
    A great thread. thanks Hedda

14. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

I confess that...
    • I hate it when parents think that moving up in the school must mean teachers have been promoted!
    • I hate it when Year 6 teachers complain about all the marking they have to do when they have no idea about Year R!
    • I dont want to go outside in the cold and rain or keep the door open.
    • I want to chuck my camera in a pond on a friday.
    [​IMG]

15. I confess:
    That I believe there are conspiracies and evil people.
    That I believe that the unions and local authorities and government are in cahoots and don't represent honestly ordinary teachers.
    That I detest official spin about everything in the early years garden being rosy as they steadfastly ignore and manipulate the discontent.
    That I am so disaffected by bureaucracy and the farce and the disconnect between the day to day realities of running schools and pre-schools relative to the initiatives and demands placed upon ordinary folk. I believe it is a ridiculous disgrace that so many well-paid advisors and bureaucrats exist on the backs of ordinary people trying to run schools for ordinary children.
    That I look forward to the grand rebellion before all our teachers consist of nothing but 'yes' people complying to their masters' bidding whether they agree with it or not.
    Without a rebellion we are a lost nation.

16. I confess that....
    - I am not surgically attached to my camera
    - I do not make a note of every piece of learning I see for the learning diary of each child (sometimes I even manage to retain some information in my teacher brain)
    - my TA sits down and works through my reading packets individually with the children at least 3 times per week
    - I get really irritated that some teachers further up the school make things easier for themselves in timetabling and one-off things like school nurse visits without any regard for my children being 4!! gggrrrrrrr
    - I have asked my children to participate in carpet sessions that are longer than 5 mins ... once I even directly taught them for 30 mins
    - my children are not allowed to help themselves to anything in the classroom - they are required to ask on many occasions!
    - sometimes I laugh when they do something 'naughty' that is actually really funny

17. Love your last sentence Giraffe, I do the same[​IMG]
    Love this thread. I confess that ..
    * I hate my classroom and am unable to change it. Too noisy and space is not used effectively
    * I hate having assesmbly 3 times a week
    * I hate having a different member of staff each afternoon and then having to deal with the anxious behaviour of some of the children
    * I hate having to record endless mindless stuff.
    * I would like you to trust my professional judgement. If I've said a child has achieved something then don't ask me for 'evidence'
    * I hate the amount of time we spend on ERR each day.
    * I like the children to play for the sake of it and it doesn't have to be linked to any objective
    * I let my children take their shoes off if they want
    I

• I hate guided reading and don't think it works.
    • Standing outside for long periods in an exposed, freezing cold playground is ridiculous.
    • I don't like electronic data.
    • Staff meetings that don't mention the FS are a waste of my time.
    • Learning Journeys take forever and don't tell me anything I don't already know.
    • I think long observations are stupid.
    • The IWB bores me rigid.
    • Sometimes I throw training notes in the bin.
    Thank you for this thread Hedda : )

18. Msz

I confess I thought I was alone in my non conformity
    I confess it's comforting to know I was in good company

19. pinknoodles

pinknoodles Administrator

That is so true!

I confess that some afternoons when we're all feeling tired we let the children get out anything they want to, even if it's not linked to a pre-determined objective!