1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of a Techie

Discussion in 'Primary' started by greta444, Feb 2, 2012.

1. greta444

greta444 New commenter

what...what....what??
    I think I am fairly safe from such illegal crimes as I wouldn't have a clue how to do any of this.
    Have no computer crimes of my own to report.

2. Is it a good idea to admit illegal downloading on a public forum?

3. Well... everyone does it. Besides I'm downloading stuff for educational purposes. Let the internet police first catch those making a profit off downloading material for profit.

4. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

crime statistics are crime statistics and it is not unheard of for police to boost their detection/arrest rate with soft targets .....

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

And 'everyone does it' will not be a suitable defence in court. Nor when sat in front of your HT/CoG explaining the conviction.

And for the record 'everyone' most certainly does NOT do it!

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

It's a bit like people who scan whole books into Smart Notebook.
    You can't buy downloadable books and put them on a website. That is kind of illegal. You should also probably be aware of scanning software / hidden code within such downloads that can be tracked to your ISP.
    But don't worry about those techicalities. You've just confessed on the internet.
    But saying that - I'm pretty sure most stuff on You Tube that is not a home video probably shouldn't be there but it's a great teaching resource.

7. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I see you are not based in the UK and haven't contributed any resources to TES. I am happy to share stuff on here - like the thousands of others - even though it has taken me hours of time to prepare and upload.
    In other places where my work is for sale, it is really annoying if people steal copyrighted material. It is preventing the originators making a fair return from skill, training and effort! Why be proud of being dishonest?