1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions of a bookaholic

Discussion in 'Book club' started by cariad2, Jun 30, 2011.

1. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Mr C is going to be VERY cross if he ever finds out what I did today.
    Now that I've got a Kindle, he keeps telling me that I don't need to buy any more books. Especially after he put up 3 bookcases and half a dozen bookshelves in the office so that I could bring boxes and boxes of books down from the loft.
    But after I'd been to the local union rally this afternoon, I popped into Waterstones - just to browse - and ended up walking out with 8 books. I managed to sneak them onto various bookshelves before he came home, and he hasn't noticed yet. I left Cariadlet looking at Moshi Monster books in the children's section while I was shopping and paying, and then hid half of them in my rucksack. She thinks I've only bought 4, so even if she does grass me up, Mr C won't know quite how naughty I've been.

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

I promise not to tell him... especially since I have done very similar things!
    PS what did you get? I'm looking to stock up the Kindle for my holiday

3. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Waterstones have got the first in various series of children's books for only £1. I'd already got some of them (at full price - grrr), but I got the first How to Tame Your Dragon (Cariadlet enjoyed the film, so I thought I'd encourage her to read the book), and the first Skulduggery Pleasant which my nephew had been engrossed in last time we visited (theoretically put aside for when Cariadlet is older, but really more for me).
    Then I got sucked into the 3 for 2 offers:
    Skippy Dies (recommended in here so I had a look and it sounds very promising from the blurb)
    The lastest C.J. Ransom (I've enjoyed all the others)
    Bill Bryson's At Home (I'd dipped into it at my mum and dad's and it seemed a nice light read),
    Alex's Adventures in Mathematics (I'm no mathematician, but I remember hearing about it somwhere and I'd liked the sound of it. I know I'll have to concentrate on that one. Just hope it doesn't get too complex)
    Peter Carey's Parrot and Olivier in America
    I left my tent in San Francisco (the follow up to The Tent, The Bucket and Me)

Now I just have to choose which one to read first.

4. lrw22

lrw22 Occasional commenter

Couldn't you have borrowed this from your mum and dad! [​IMG]

5. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

I stockpile on the shelves and Mr Minnie Me does not notice ! I find it so hard just to do the 3 for 2 thing . There are always others that aren't on offer that I want and want them NOW !

6. My name's Owen Meaney and I'm a bookaholic.

I've just checked and have just over 80 books on my 'to read' pile(s).

Although about 2/3rds are second hand from charity shops or Amazon, it's all getting out of hand.
    At first I thought that I could just buy them on a weekend, then it got to buying the odd one midweek, now it seems like I have to buy one just to get out of bed in the morning...

(Btw, I read Heartstone, latest CJ Sansom, a while ago and it's good - up to par with his others.)

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I don't feel nearly as bad after reading other people's confessions. And I feel positively parsimonious after Owen Meaney's confession. I thought my "to read" pile was big, but it's not that bad.
    Owen Meaney - thanks for the endorsement of Heartstone. Sometimes series start to flag after a while, so it's good to hear that it's another good one.
    Irw22 - It wasn't really practical to borrow mum and dad's copy - they live over 100 miles away, and I don't see them that often. Actually, that's just an excuse. I don't really borrow books: if I don't enjoy them, then it's difficult to say that to whoever lent the book, and if I do enjoy them then I hate giving them back. I like lending books, but not borrowing them.

8. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Ha ! Loving this post.

9. Wow! Thought I was the only bookaholic...

Told myself that I would not buy another book until I've read all the books I own. Doesn't work. Everytime I get a new book, the others go to the 'will read that after this' category. Amazon is lethal. You buy a book and get endless emails that say... 'If you bought this, then you'll like this...' or 'most people who purchased that also bought this.' I soon feel like I'm missing out on something and before I know it, one click purchase and I'm looking forward to the post for the rest of the week!

10. I seem to be singularly fortunate in that Mr C wouldn't know if I bought 1 or 100 books. And as long as I can afford them and he doesn't go hungry as a result, he doesn't care either. I never need to hide them from him or lie about how many I've bought.
    A husband that interfered with my book habit would very rapidly be an ex-husband!

11. Thanks cariad! You'd be a wow at an AA meeting. "You drink HOW much???? Have you hollow legs?" ;)

Actually it's grown quite a bit since I discovered Amazon's 'One Click'. One minute I'm sitting there looking at a book, the next I'm staring at a 'Thank you for your Order" page thinking "Did I just do that?"
    Luckily my girlfriend's OK about (tho' our flat aint huge), but she's a CharityShopAholic so I think we 'enable' each other!w