1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Confessions 2016

Discussion in 'Primary' started by whitestag, Feb 9, 2016.

1. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

All confessions welcome! Great work @fineliner

• I willingly allow other teachers to 'borrow' the useless, miserable volunteer who appears in my class once a week.

teacup71, dljames2013 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I sometimes mark books when my class are getting on with some work.
    I haven't written a single art plan all term.
    I go in during holidays and bin homework that was handed in ages ago and I never got round to marking.
    I find 'hearing children read' mind numbingly boring.

dljames2013 and whitestag like this.
  3. KelRilon

KelRilon New commenter

• I think annotating my planning is pointless and sometimes do it at the end of the week, instead of daily. I change my lessons depending on responses from children anyway.
    • I hate having other people in my classroom.
    • I hate having to leave marking comments, which require children to write a sentence with a particular feature. (I'd rather they apply what I've asked them to in their next piece of writing...That's apparently not obvious enough.)
    • I use sarcasm and so do my pupils.
    • I find reasons to stay out of assemblies, because most of them are boring.
    • I don't do prayers at the end of my assemblies.
    • When their work is rubbish, I tell my class. I also tell them when they've done well and impressed me and then at least it's genuine.
    • I like doing break duty. It gets me outside and nobody bothers me.
    • I have a habit of drinking tea while I'm teaching (non-spill mug) because I'm usually too busy at break to get anything to drink.
    • I find the idea of having to do writing for every sodding lesson, because we need evidence, utterly stupid.
    • I like to wind up certain children in my class because it's fun and makes lessons more interesting. (They usually don't mind and tend to be silly anyway.)
    • I have favourites...and it's usually not the goody-goodies. (On the other hand, I've very rarely taught children, who I really dislike.)

4. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I always give DT to the PPA teacher, despite being DT co-ordinator. (I've only ever taught DT about 5 times in 27 years).

I never have and never will get changed to teach PE.

I never take work home and cannot understand why fellow teachers moan about all the work they have to do at home. If it doesn't get done between the hours of 7.45am and 4.45pm Monday-Friday (term time only!) then it simply doesn't get done.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I've never annotated a lesson plan in my life.

turbonator and TEA2111 like this.
  6. whitestag

Me neither. What's the point?

Detailed lesson plans including VAK, differentiated LOs and evaluations?

Termly outline, that's all you're getting from me. Didn't seem to bother Ofsted and the children don't seem to mind either!

TEA2111 and dljames2013 like this.
  7. caterpillartobutterfly

And you are very lucky to be in a school where SLT clearly don't mind either!
    (I am too now, but I've been in schools where plans are handed in on Monday and again, with annotations, on Friday and heaven forbid there was any deviation!

Oh and another from me, I don't always plan for or do a plenary...no good educational reason not to, I just don't always bother.

TEA2111 likes this.
  8. KelRilon

KelRilon New commenter

I don't think it would bother them. (Been through several inspections by now and nobody's ever cared. My classes have always done well.) Still, we have to hand planning in. Get told off like a naughty child when it's not annotated in different colours. No wonder I'm leaving...:rolleyes: I'm tempted to print out the Ofsted guidance about marking and planning and stick several copies all over the walls in the corridors on my last day.

TEA2111 and dljames2013 like this.
  9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

You do realise, don't you, that all of these comments will soon appear on Mumsnet as evidence that teachers are lazy-good-for-nothings who don't care about their precious little cherub!

10. whitestag

It's a bit of fun, of course we care about the children. Most parents would agree that some of the nonsense that is imposed on us doesn't make a difference to what we do. I'd rather have a human being teaching my child who focuses on working with them and helping them improve, rather than ticking silly boxes.

• I once laughed out loud in a staff meeting book scrutiny when someone said 'oh yes he's made great progress but not every page has next steps comments in green so the marking needs improvement'

guinnesspuss and jewellerygirl like this.
  11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Reports - I use the same ones every year, just do an Edit and Replace on the names. Nobody's ever noticed.

12. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Me too!

And why are people STILL handing in planning and annotating etc? We haven't done this since the NUT/NASUWT told us we didn't have to.

TEA2111 likes this.
  13. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

I 'find and replaced' a few reports in my day as a teacher in a paperwork mad school. Now I don't have to do the stupid amounts of paperwork, some of my reports are completely personal. But some aren't, if they don't need to be!!!

And as for changing for PE... Well that was just an excuse to go in dressed for PE all day!

14. whitestag

I love my trackies... SLT must think I do PE 3 out of 5 days! I teach it on one day.

A good pair of trackies beats a really uncomfortable shirt and tie any day!

15. kash645

kash645 New commenter

I love this❤️. Great fun! Here are my confessions!
    I spend 6 weeks teaching floor work in gymnastics because I can't be bothered to get all of the gym apparatus out.
    I have also copied and pasted reports, planning and just changed the dates.
    I make up planning, generally as an afterthought, but do my own thing , which is much more fun. Kids still learn.
    We mark as much of our maths in class as possible so that I don't have to mark it!
    I do impromptu assessments and independent writing, especially on a Monday morning, so that I can catch up with marking from the weekend.
    We watch films in class ( especially any I like) to help with creative writing.
    I use any and every excuse to play my favourite tunes during the day.
    I send my naughtiest kids on 'jobs' around school that take a long time.
    I quite often make up some of my assessment data, particularly of late as I don't understand all of the letters ( 3E, 3M, 3B)??
    I will ask my TA to laminate anything and everything just to have a breather from constantly spending time with her! I like her but get fed up with having her in class all of the time!
    I ask my teaching student what she would like me to write on her report. I don't feel at all equipped to pass comment on anyone else's teaching style!
    I always ask the cleverest child to answer problem solving questions as I usually don't know the answer!

16. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

We have been told that we can't wear trackies for the whole day but have to get changed for the lesson and then change back at the nearest opportunity. I just don't bother at all and nobody has said anything, but staff who have been in trackies all day have been told it's not acceptable!

whitestag likes this.
  17. whitestag

I must admit, Lardylady, I've been told off a few times when I've been caught in trackies with no PE scheduled! The thing is though, they never do anything about it so, like a naughty schoolboy, I've continued to do it when I feel like I can get away with it e.g, when HT is not in etc. If any other member of staff comments on it I just say something like 'oh I'm supervising cross country at lunch time' or something like that!

Incidentally, I am the PE coordinator and I know that not one member of our staff gets changed for PE, they either teach it in their normal clothes or wear their trackies for the whole day. Does it bother me? Not in the slightest! :D

lardylady likes this.
  18. caterpillartobutterfly

Scarily, I didn't even think of this as a confession, it is just normal maths teaching isn't it? Peer and self assessment is very, very important...

dljames2013, lardylady and whitestag like this.
  19. whitestag

Of paramount importance I would say! It would be rude of me to spoil their maths books by writing anything over their fabulous marking! :cool:

20. pennybirdroberts

pennybirdroberts New commenter

Success Criteria's are the bane of my life. I think of ten years ago when we didn't have to have them stuck in books. Children could actually see there own work not mine!

debjames2013 likes this.