1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conference speaking - fees?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lucyrose50, Aug 26, 2015.

1. lucyrose50

lucyrose50 Occasional commenter

I'm posting this on behalf of a friend of mine who doesn't usually use the forums. She has been asked to speak at an education conference (run by a company who organise conferences and CPD for teachers) and has been told that the organisers will pay her fees and expenses, but no mention has been made of specific figures and she has no idea what to ask for in terms of a fee. She has spoken at several conferences before, but they've always been ones run by charitable or academic organisations rather than by a for-profit company, so they have just covered her expenses and given her entry to the rest of the conference. Can anyone suggest a rough figure that she might reasonably expect for this work? The company have indicated that if she is agreeable, they'd like to keep her on their files for future conferences and CPD sessions, so she doesn't want to undersell herself by asking for a low fee but equally she wants to be realistic!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

How many people will be at the conference?

How much will they pay?

How long is her bit?

How many other speakers?

All these will influence how much cash they have to give to speakers . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. lucyrose50

She says her session will be an hour, it's a one day conference and the people attending will be paying £200. She hasn't been told how many people will attend or how many other speakers there'll be, but she knows there will be at least 5. She will need to travel there the night before and will get home quite late on the day of the conference as it's quite a long way from where she lives.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Difficult or even impossible to say what would be an appropriate sum without knowing what their income will be. 20 people or 200 . . . x £200. With 5 speakers and expenses, should be more delegates rather than fewer.

What I shall suggest is that she asks them to recommend where she should stay overnight, so that she doesn't blow out on something they are not prepared to refund.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

5. lucyrose50

Thanks for the advice, I'll pass that on. I think she was intending asking for delegate numbers next time she speaks to the organisers. Would you suggest working out a fee based on a rough percentage of the organisers' total income?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That would be unusual!

I was thinking of judging where along the line of £50 - £150 for an hour . . .

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week

7. lucyrose50

I didn't mean putting it to the organiser like that, just that you said the fee would depend on how much the organisers would get in delegate fees and that this would determine the fee my friend could reasonably ask for, but we still don't really know how to work this out.