1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

conducting a choir

Discussion in 'Music' started by i the t, Jun 8, 2011.

1. i the t

i the t New commenter

I've been asked to conduct a choir at a big event this wknd.
    I've never done this before and the choir have been rehearsing the piece with the pianist as director for a few months and director doesn't think we need one. I will get one rehearsal to go through it with them before the event.
    Do you think it's necessary for a choir to have a conductor ?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Most choirs tend to look better if there's no conductor in the way. I think I'd trust the judgement of your pianist.

3. There's no point in having a conductor who has not been rehearsing with them so, in this circumstance, I would say no, especially if you have never conducted a choir before.
    If the choir know what they are doing they will do far better on their own than with a novice waving their hands about in front of them.

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

I don't conduct my children's choir as a rule but in a concert and the practises leading up to it i stand at the back of he hall (our venues aren't usually loud) and give a certain amount of direction from there. It's hard enough for adults to do the right thing all the time without a conductor, never mind children, but i don't much like a conductor in front of a children's choir as it covers up so many of them!

5. i the t

i the t New commenter

thanks for the advice people,

looks like we don't have much choice though !