1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Conditions for Private and Personal Leave

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by estudent, Jan 26, 2012.

1. One of my closest friends is getting married in may and i have already got a day off as p&p as it's on a friday. Her hen weekend has now been arranged as well and starts on a friday. Can i have this as p&p? would other people take it?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Totally at the discretion of your head. My personal feeling is that a days unpaid leave for the wedding is generous - Asking for another for the hen party perhaps taking the mick.... but you're head seems generous, so I guess asking won't harm. As an aside, when I got married I arranged things to ensure my friends could be there without issue.....

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

This will be at the discretion of your Head. If I were your employer you wouldn't have a chance. It is a glorified party. I think you are luky to get leave for your friend's wedding, if I am honest.

4. purplepixie

purplepixie New commenter

My best friend lives in Canada and I was given 3 days' unpaid leave as I was a bridesmaid. I feel that is reasonable. However, the hen do really isn't one of life's 3 main events (hatches, matches & despatches) so personally I think it would be very much extracting the Michael to ask.

5. Crowbob

I like this phrase.

6. FAIRYDELL

FAIRYDELL New commenter

I'm surprised you even had the cheek to post this question. Would you like another day for outfit shopping too?

7. Mrs_Frog

Mrs_Frog New commenter

MrL's sister was getting married on a Friday in term time, we had already explained to the family that I may not have been able to make it, but would be able to get there for the party afterwards, as I had only just started the new job 6 weeks previously. However, I did ask for the day off, expecting a no, or half a day, unpaid. The head very kindly let me have the day paid. MrL and myself are not married, so he was well within his rights to say no, and I would have accepted that, and would have gladly accepted a day unpaid. However. I was lucky.
    A previous head of mine refused to let me have a day for travelling back from my sister's wedding. (North Wales to South Hampshire) He did let me have half a day unpaid.
    Depends on the head.
    B x

8. Thank you to people for polite and helpful comments that didn't make me feel like ****. I have only ever had two days p&p in 10 years, both funerals, and have never asked for anything else so was not sure what was and wasn't possible. As for my 'cheek posting the question', i had a question that i didn't know the answer to and thought a forum of teacher's would be a good place to get advice. Unhelpful and frankly rude comments have not helped at all. For the record, the day for the wedding is unpaid, wouldn't expect it to be paid.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You are missing a key point here estudent. Whether you are paid or unpaid - your pupils are still in school and missing teaching time. Teachers get a decent amount of holiday - fair enough your friends and relatives may organise events outside school holidays - you need to be able to make a professional judgement about when it is acceptable to ask for leave (the wedding) and when it is not acceptable (hen weekend)!
    - Really? do other people in your school take time off for hen/stag weekends, parties etc.?

10. I know of at least one who had day off for a stag do, about 4 years ago. I didnt think it would be a bad thing to gather advice from other professionals.

How would the children be missing teaching time? I accept that its never quite the same with a supply but we have a lot of very good supply's, the children would not miss teaching.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

You're right it is not a bad thing. It is also not a bad thing to give an honest response to that question. You say that someone had a day off for a stag do at your school. Personally I find that appalling but we are not all the same. As I say - you posted a question and people have responded - it may not be the response you were hoping for but people are giving their honest reaction to your posting.

12. It's not people giving honest reactions that has made me a little annoyed. I already thought that it wouldn't be a reason for P & P leave but didn't want to say that at the start, as a genuinely wanted advice. I just feel that the way some comments have been written were offensive rather than sharing an opinion.

13. Crowbob

I'm telling Mr Gove [​IMG]

14. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'm sure when you teach plurals you do know that supply turns into supplies - don't you?

15. Crowbob

Don't you think it is best to hear it from us, rather than from your Head?

16. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I believe in certain religions the body must be buried within X amount of days/hours so this would not be possible. Obviously this doesn't apply in most cases.
    The one you refer to obviously had a lot of friends/family far away. Many people don't have this. If my Grandma, for example, died, all her relatives live in the UK. Should I put in a request that her funeral is delayed until half term, specially so I can make it?
    I used to employ people before I came in to teaching, and if one of them had asked for a day's unpaid leave for a funeral, they'd have been given it, no issue. Ok, we didn't have set holidays like in teaching, but I think that's irrelevent when it comes to funerals. Apart from anything else, a person who is in school on a day that a close friend or relative is being buried, resenting the head for not letting them go, is not going to teach very well. I know I wouldn't.

17. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Actually, the person in question had a son in the USA and a daughter in Europe.
    But the point of the OP is about having to travel abroad for a funeral, not funerals in the UK - which is why my point was relevant. Of course you shouldn't have to make such a request to attend a funeral in the UK - but if you were relatively close to half term and needed to travel many thousands of miles, perhaps you would.

18. I have been teaching for almost 20 years and have never had a personal day off - luckily no close relatives have died during that time. I once asked for permission to arrive two hours late on a Monday morning so that I could attend my nephews christening on the Sunday and stay for the party with my sister who was over from the States especially, the first time I had seen her for 9 years. I covered my lesson by asking a colleague to give up a non-contact but still felt guilty.
    My sister got married in Florida during term time and I never even considered asking for time off, but then, years later when I mentioned this to my head, she said she would have given me the time off had I asked, some days paid and some unpaid so now, should the need arise, I will probably ask but not be disappointed if the request is refused.
    In the time I have been teaching, I have only had one day off for my sons graduation and a day to move house - not even had a sick day!! I save everything for the holidays, even being ill!!