1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Conditional Formatting in 2007 - help required!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by jumpingfrog10, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am having an issue with applying conditional formatting in Excel 2007. I basically have a spreadsheet that lists student's course information. When they have completed you use a cell drop down to change their status from 'Live' to 'Completed'. I want the entire row to change to yellow when the status is 'Completed'.

I used to be able to do this easily in 2003 by highlighting the entire spreadsheet (as it contains hundreds of records) and applying the condition. If I do this in 2007, it just changes the cell with the text 'Completed' in it yellow (rather than the whole row).

Can anyone help with this?

Thank you,
    Jumping Frog.

2. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I think that several things got a lot more difficult in Excel 2007 - graphs and conditional formatting being the main two. You can probably do add these two things more, but I think that getting them to do exactly what you want is more of a pain.
    That said, what you want to do still works in the way I used to do it in 97 - 2003. You need to base your conditional formatting on a formula (the bottom option).
    If, say, your "Completed" appeared in column A, and your records start on row 1, you'd highlight row 1, and add the conditional formatting with the formula =$A1="Completed" - then change the formatting to yellow fill. You can then use the Format Painter to paste the formatting onto the remaining rows.

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I'm not sure what happened there! I meant to sat that you can probably add these two things more easily...