1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Condesending comment still is niggling at me!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by KellyME, Jun 22, 2011.

1. I was talking to an aquaintance on fb about his beautiful artwork of comic book characters he has been posting on his wall. I was saying how his talents and skills would really be of use to me in the classroom when I become a teacher as im not the best at art and I have trouble getting out my creative side sometimes. Specifically, I would love to jazz up any display boards in the classroom - it was all tongue and cheek stuff. I also mentioned that the only thing i can draw is rude stick men. He was perfectly willing and even asked me what I wanted him to do specifically. Anyway another person gets involved and she says:
    "Shouldn't the displays be the kids own work, not yours? and as long as the stickmen are anatomically correct you can do a PSHE or Science lesson with the drawings!!"
    To which I replied:
    "No not all the time. It depends on how many you get in your classroom really, they are generally used as visual aids and a learning tool until they do teh work at the end of the topic which then gets added to the display. I put up and take down lots every term and have a portfolio of pics where ive created my own."

This seemed to be a tame comment to what I actually thought at the time....! Bearing in mind I hardly know her and she doesn't know me. I later found out she is indeed a primary teacher from a close friend who knows her.
    She replies later with:
    "We make the kids do the work and the board goes up at the end of term - im always late with it!"
    As a TA I have more than my fair share of display boards and how they should look etc and i'm mostly told to do my own thing which each teacher has been impressed with and im starting my PGCE in September so I know theres more room to learn but I just couldnt help but feel annoyed.
    I didn't know whether to try and write something back witty and sarcastic about how I feel sorry for the children because they have a teacher like her or just to leave it......well I still don't know what to say or feel. Except I know I feel really annoyed by her comments.
    Some opinions on this would be great!
    Thanks xx

2. Erm...I think you are overreacting. Her self-deprecating comment at the end about being late with the boards clearly shows she isn't trying to outdo you. All she is saying is that you are criticising yourself for not being able to do lovely art for display boards, when the only people who should be doing drawings for them are the kids. This isn't her having a go - she's trying to reassure you. Why on earth would you want to post a horrible comment about feeling sorry for her pupils because they have her as their teacher?! Just leave it! I also think you are going to need to get a much thicker skin when you start your PGCE as otherwise you're going to keep feeling horribly upset by people who don't actually mean you any harm.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I also think you are overreacting or misunderstanding.

Just because they do things differently, doesn't mean they are criticising you.

Why you would feel sorry for the children in her class is beyond me. But then why on earth you would want to post something nasty is also beyond me.

4. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Delete her from your FB page and block her further attempts to contact you.

5. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Welcome to teaching - With such trivia taking centre stage in your mind you're going to fit right in.

6. She's evil. Let rip.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Display boards at dawn it is.

8. Eh? Why are you getting so worked up about this OP? Just wait 'til you're teaching full time without TA support; display boards may just slip down a bit on your list of priorties.

9. langteacher

langteacher New commenter

What's the big deal? Someone says something you don't agree with and you get all worked up?!
    As a teacher / TA or whatever you need to learn to get thicker skin

10. Other weapon choices:
    Glue guns
    staplers
    metre sticks
    naughty chair

11. or if you're in early years - post it notes in as many different colour and shapes as you can imagine

12. Life's too short, isn't it?