1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concurrent AS and A2 in a year

Discussion in 'Social sciences' started by dogfez, May 2, 2012.

1. Hello
    Has anyone ever heard/tried teaching students AS and A2 at the same time?. At my place their are some students who want to do a whole A-level in a year next year. I am not comfortable with this for Sociology or Psychology - has anyone got an opinion or experience of this?

2. Hello
    Has anyone ever heard/tried teaching students AS and A2 at the same time?. At my place their are some students who want to do a whole A-level in a year next year. I am not comfortable with this for Sociology or Psychology - has anyone got an opinion or experience of this?

3. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

If you mean teaching the same students AS and A2, I think it will be too much for them and you.

I think one of these courses is intense enough with so much information to remember, I can't imagine them revising for two exams within a couple of weeks of each other with so much to remember. I dont think the students will manage it unless that is the only subject on their timetable.

This year I have taught one class of As 4 hours a week and one class of A2 at 5 hours a week. I am struggling to finish the A2 on time and I think I am teacher talking the class to death to get through it. My students are stressed doing one of these courses at a time. This is just my opinion, others may disagree. I wouldnt like to do it!!

4. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

It is good to know it can be successful -a credit to you

It seems like your classes are very small though. I have 28 students in myAS class and 14 in A2. Like you say, if only the hardworking, committed students can be chosen to do both, I would think that makes a difference.

5. Why does it sound like my classes are small? I have not mentioned the size of my classes. Anyhow, research shows that class size does not affect attainment- more to do with teacher workload in terms of marking etc.
    Currently 30 at AS and 28 at A2.

6. muffinmops

muffinmops New commenter

Forgive me for misinterpreting you but the way I read it was -

The first year I had two students and the second year I had 4 students.

As for class sizes I don't agree that it makes no difference. try 32 year 9s and then they reduce it to 24 -beleive me it makes a difference.

7. I did my A levels this way, after dropping out & dossing around for a coupla years. I decided to return to education, but had to support myself so I did 2 part time evening AS/A2 Levels, I got a B at Sociology in the end.
    Now I teach it, and I have to say I wouldn't reconmend it for my students. Firstly, I think I could have got an A if I've had more time to get into it. Secondly, I was 20 and with a group of other people who were there for a varity of reasons, I think the added maturity helped. Thirdly, I was only doing 2 subjects (well, 4 if you want to split it into AS & A2). Many of my students struggle with the demands of deadlines from a range of courses.
    I don't regret doing it the way that I did, although sometimes I wonder if I could have got that A.... not that it would have made a huge amount of difference in the long run! Still, I don't think many (if any) of my students could do it the way that I did.
    Hope that helped!
    Gruffy

8. Well perhaps that's why you got a B then- because you were predisposed to dropping out and dossing.

I do not teach the most exceptional students- far from it.

But... the students who do AS and A2 together work very hard. This year it is likely all 4 that are doing both together will get As.

It can and does work. My students particularly find it useful for the synoptic unit. Whilst everyone else has forgotten it, it is still fairly fresh for them and because they find AS easy in comparison to A2 they are able to get extremely high As and AS and Bs and Cs at A2 and still get an A overall.

9. I have 28 students in myAS class and 14 in A2. Like you say, if only the hardworking, committed students can be chosen to do both, I would think that makes a difference.[​IMG]

10. Why do you feel the need to be so judgemental & rude?
    I was using my personal life experience to help someone make an educational based decision, there's no need to address the reasons why I didn't complete my education in the 'normal' route.
    I didn't even respond to you in anyway, yet this is a 2nd time during this thread you've been confrontational or defensive to someone.
    Why? What's the need to respond in this way? What does it achieve? How does it help answer the OP question?

11. Gruffymax- not being rude at all- just making a point based on what you said you were like when you were younger- we've all been there.
    In terms of using your personal experience... isn't that what we try to stop our students doing when talking about sociological ideas? To reflect on one personal experience does not give an accurate idea of what is possible
    As far as the other post.. perhaps my reaction was due to the fact that someone else was defensive when they realised that it could be done and tried to bring in the issue of class size. Although clearly I had been misinterpreted on this one.
    And yes, I am trying to answer the post and seems that I am best placed to do this having had experience of taking students through AS and A2 together. Let's face it- it is hardly as difficult as Maths or Physics is it?

12. Let's all defer to tacman. It can't be easy being perfect in everyway

13. Thanks for your help. It's all helped
    I've managed to put off the head of sixth form off from offering this to students. As I know I will not get a very dedicated bunch - they will be the students who came unstuck in other A-levels and reckon, like the head of sixth form reckons, that doing AS and A2 sociology will be OK as Sociology is easy.
    Tacman is a hero. But she should acknowldege that Sociology caters for the whole brain rather than just the left hand side. So there is plenty of room for interpretattion with regards to how 'easy' it is.

14. I don't think the subject itself is easy at all. But, unfortunately the exam boards seem to work hard at devaluing the subject by marking asociological ideas and giving credit to poor answers.

15. I have just stumbled across this 'discussion' and tacman you sound the most disingenuous person I have ever come across. You make comments and then feign surprise when others bring you up on it. I certainly thought you meant you were teaching small classs of 2 -4 in your first two years. Your last comment sounds like someone who has bitten off more than they can chew. What does 'devaluing the subject by marking asociological ideas and giving credit to poor answers' mean?