1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

concrete resources used in KS2 maths lessons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by x_k8_xxx, Aug 14, 2019.

1. x_k8_xxx

x_k8_xxx New commenter

Hi all,

I am a year 6 teacher and want to introduce some buckets of resources into my classroom for the children to use whenever needed in maths lessons.
    What resources do you have in your classrooms that help your children to understand new concepts in maths?

Thank you

2. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Place value sliders
    Multi link cubes
    Dienes
    2d and 3d shapes
    Maths mats ( t w i n k l)

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

numicon
    bead strings
    whiteboards and pens
    place value counters
    double sided counters

4. x_k8_xxx

x_k8_xxx New commenter

@celago22 @catterpillartobutterfly thank you for your quick responses! :)

Might sound silly- but could you please give me a couple of examples of how you use some of these resources in year 6.

Thank you

5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Never taught y6 but have observed lots of different things in y6:

Numicon can be used for short division as it is good for showing remainders.

For HA chn, the teacher let the chn choose their own resource and had a choice of resources e. g for place value.. Dienes, counters, number beads.

Dienes for division too to show the groups.

For HA, ncetm term by term objectives for topic used as problem solving and reasoning, sheets printed off directly for chn from ncetm website.

Fractions- use cuisenaire rods to show different fractions along with shapes and different fractions of shapes.

Have a look on Third space learning for the guide 'ultimate guide to maths manipulatives'

6. x_k8_xxx

x_k8_xxx New commenter

Brilliant! Thank you very much @celago22 . I will take a look on Third Space.

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

I'm sure there will be many to disagree, but just wanted to sound a word of caution against spending too much … we have masses of resources in our Year 6 classroom, due to a big investment last year - Diennes, numicon, place value counters, double sided counters, multilink, bead strings and more … but I find they are only used by the very lowest group. Maybe it's down to me - maybe I'm not modelling how to use them well enough - but I the rest of the class always say it doesn't help them and they'd rather be shown a method with pencil and paper then have time to practise themselves. We also spend a lot of time looking at the different methods some of them choose to use and discussing which is the most effective strategy.