1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concert tomorrow - arghhhh!

Discussion in 'Music' started by dropje, Mar 21, 2012.

1. The first one in the academy for 3 years - long story - and not being a fan of the traditional sit in a row staring at a stagee type event, again I have planned the unusual. The principal commented on how relaxed and calm I seem. Well, I can be honest with you lot - I am bricking it.
    This is how it's going to go - I am only allowed an hour...
    The hall will be totally cleared of **** (we suffer from this A LOT)
    We are expecting 150 invited guests - family and staff only.There are 5 performance areas; the stage plus the 4 corners of the hall. There are posh refreshments available.
    By each performing area there will a few chairs but the idea is that the audience moves to which ever corner is performing -art gallery style -and stays standing. No acts will be introduced but displayed on a ppt. So it's 'play' clap 'play' clap etc. This ensures I will have as many acts as possible in 1 measly hour. Since we are in the middle of a building project, there is no fancy lighting so I am placing a lamp by each corner to create a bit of atmosphere. There is also art on display. A flip chart by each corner and an A5 programme shows runing order and kids involved. Dress code -all black.
    I have organised most of it myself since I have actually done this before (twice - more time and with tables/candles) and you know how it goes folks. Outside of the performing arts, people just don't know how to do these things.
    I can visualise it...just really really nervous now.
    Thanks for listening!

2. The first one in the academy for 3 years - long story - and not being a fan of the traditional sit in a row staring at a stagee type event, again I have planned the unusual. The principal commented on how relaxed and calm I seem. Well, I can be honest with you lot - I am bricking it.
    This is how it's going to go - I am only allowed an hour...
    The hall will be totally cleared of **** (we suffer from this A LOT)
    We are expecting 150 invited guests - family and staff only.There are 5 performance areas; the stage plus the 4 corners of the hall. There are posh refreshments available.
    By each performing area there will a few chairs but the idea is that the audience moves to which ever corner is performing -art gallery style -and stays standing. No acts will be introduced but displayed on a ppt. So it's 'play' clap 'play' clap etc. This ensures I will have as many acts as possible in 1 measly hour. Since we are in the middle of a building project, there is no fancy lighting so I am placing a lamp by each corner to create a bit of atmosphere. There is also art on display. A flip chart by each corner and an A5 programme shows runing order and kids involved. Dress code -all black.
    I have organised most of it myself since I have actually done this before (twice - more time and with tables/candles) and you know how it goes folks. Outside of the performing arts, people just don't know how to do these things.
    I can visualise it...just really really nervous now.
    Thanks for listening!

3. QFE

QFE New commenter

Sounds interesting. An idea I will pinch myself!
    Hope it goes well and the powers that be and parents appreciate the effort.

4. I agree that this sounds very novel and interesting way of doing things, but I am a bit concerned about the logistics.

How are you expecting an audience of 150 people to move around the hall with any degree of efficiency?

What about the old grannies who can hardly walk?

What about mothers with young children who have a tendency to run off and get lost?

I can also envisage people getting a bit irritated by the strain of not being able to sit down for an hour!

How will people 'see' the performers; will it be a mad rush to see who can get to the front first, or will people just have to crowd round in an ad hoc manner, trying desperately to peer over heads to catch a glimpse of their little Johnny? What about H&S regs such as fire escape routes and so fourth?

I'm not trying to be negative, it sounds like a great idea, I just hope it goes well for you!

5. It's a quite a large space (holds 400 seated) and there will be some chairs, for those you mentioned above. (About 60 in total, 15 by each corner).
    Of course what you say is true and in my experience, having done it twice, most parents are only interested in seeing their own little ones, and pretty much ignore everything else.
    It's quite informal in a formal way! But the reasons you point out above are the basis of my nerves (H&S is fine, otherwise, believe you me, they wouldn't let me do it!)
    What's great about this way of doing it, is that you can have you beginner violinists with your amazing singers all in the same concert. It moves really quickly and there is no need to set anything up.
    now have dodgy belly!

6. Yes, I can see this working really well. It sounds like you have planned it carefully and thought it all through. I think the parents will appreciate not having to sit still for an hour as a captive, if not captivated, audience and will also appreciate refreshments and a chance to mingle. Also, trying something new can never be a bad thing. Good luck - and try not to worry.

7. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

I think it sounds brilliant. They've done one or two similar things at my sons' school and they've worked very well. I hope it's a big success.

8. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Sounds good - good luck (hope your tummy is feeling better too [​IMG])

9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Sounds like you have re-invented the promenade concert. It should go well - good luck!

10. I did one of these in another life, it went very well. We had displays from all the departments, mostly classroom displays borrowed for the evening so not a lot of work. Other HODs came forward when told that a particularly disliked SMT member had said it will never work!
    When you're basking in the success and being complimented by the boss it's time to ask for those bits of kit which would have helped, a nice Clavinova for portability, a couple of lighting stands etc.
    As they say here before a concert "m****"!!
    I've discovered the censor speaks French!

11. How did the concert go?? I'm intrigued by format!!
    If you have a little time over the weekend could you possibly forward me your 4 chord SoW? starfluf@hotmail.com thankyou :0D

12. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Have read this thread very carefully and cannot see where the 4 chord idea originates - must be somewhere else. Please post details.

13. I did a topic of writing a 4 chord song with yr9's. They loved it, especially when you play them the axes of awesome video on youtube. In fact, my first composition with GCSE is the 4 chord song.
    I have a couple of worksheets; 1 where 4 different songs parts are played with the same sequence and another where one of the verses is missing and students have to compose their ow. When I get myself together, I will upload everything onto the resources section. It's very adaptable, and a very successful project.

Yes the concert has an art gallery/joules holland feel to it. What I added for atmosphere were tall lamps in each corner as we currently have no lighting facilities. If you have them, use stage blocks to elevate the performers.

14. Firebird123

Firebird123 New commenter

Well done and congratulations!! Sounds like it went swimmingly. A huge weight off your shoulders, eh?
    We have our concert this week... wish me luck!
    Firebird [​IMG]

15. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Good Luck Firebird [​IMG]
    and congratulations dropje [​IMG] well done!

16. Those worksheets sound incredibly useful for just what I'm doing at the moment. Looking forward to seeing them on the Resources!

17. And you have just reminded me.....[​IMG]