1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by carbod, Feb 9, 2012.

1. carbod

carbod New commenter

After some advice please for a child in Year 4.
    When the child joined me at the beginning of the year I noticed problems with letters p , b ,d and numbers such as 5 3 9 the wrong way round. i pointed this out to the parents at the first parents evening saying I would monitor. Have given him handwriting practice the "bed" sign stuck to his deskWhat I have noticed is that the child's work is beginning to get worse and worse. There is no kind of order to the child's work - maths work is just unreadable at times. the child's writing has become really quite small and the presentation is shocking. The child doesn't really have a very good attitude towards his work abd thought to begin with it was a an attitude / effort thing but am concerned now it is something else! The child is average in reading becuase i was thinking dyslexia but he is fine with reading! He loves Art and really produces some good pieces - his fine motor skills seem ok. Any advice ?!?!?

2. Ruthie66

Ruthie66 New commenter

I'm sure more experienced people will comment here but I think that pupils with dyslexia can have an age appropriate reading skills but struggle with spelling, handwriting and organisation which your pupil does. Have you spoken to your school SENCo - I would do that as a first step

3. carbod

carbod New commenter

Hi thanks for replies - really useful - have started using laptop for the child which seems to be working! I am seeing pare nts this week for parents evening and not really sure how to broach the subject - any ideas