1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns re adequate online learning..

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Apr 30, 2020.

1. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

The concern being expressed in the article is in terms of preparing for the October resit as schools aren't supposed to be considering work done since lockdown in their grading process.

2. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

What percentage of pupils do you think will complete work for a possible resit in case there is a possibility that the grade they are awarded is such that the possibility of going to a university of their choice is denied?

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Who knows?
    But if I were applying to university and I suspected that my school would make a grade prediction lower than I expected to get, and lower than my offer, and if I were a serious student, I'd be trying to prepare now. I accept that lots/most won't.

4. gainly

gainly Star commenter

But if exams are in September they won't get results until November which would be too late for university admission this year. Anyway it seems universities will be so desperate for students they will let pretty much anyone in just to get the fees.

bessiesmith2 and ridleyrumpus like this.
  5. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

I think that given it's an international problem, universities might have to be a bit flexible with their closing dates and applcations procedures next year. They know the situation students are in.
    And I can't imagine clearing this year.

6. colacao17

But that says something about their work ethic and motivation.

Same way that those who haven't worked for most of the year and hoped to pull it out of the bag with a bit of Easter revision have been left high and dry. The ranking as they stand right now might not be the ranking as it would be come real exam time. Part of me thinks the shirkers deserve it, part of me feel sorry for them because noone could have seen this coming.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. ridleyrumpus

"But that says something about their work ethic and motivation."

No it doesn't.

There are very few people who will bust a gut on the very vague possibility that something may help if about fifteen other things don't happen.

I would call it rational.

Besides the university's will be falling over themselves to admit anyone willing to pay the fees.

If there was any doubt that the uni course was "online" then I would be taking a gap year rather than pay £9000 + expenses for the privilege.

8. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

Out of interest I looked at what the Open University charges these days. There us a cost per 60 credit module but their web site quotes just over £6,100 per year full time equivalent. Extra fees for summer schools which apply to many courses not just STEM.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. colacao17

It does. It says something about whether their motivation is extrinsic or intrinsic. Learning for learning's sake, or learning for a particular reward.

10. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I foresee a future, with MATs...

First we return to school.

Then the MATs introduce online, home learning, based on what they’ve learned during lockdown. You know, just to bolster what’s done in class.

Then they decide that the only thing wrong with just getting kids to do this at home permanently is that many won’t bother. And that’d mean no babysitters.

So they get staff in whose job is just to babysit classes while they sit at computers in an ICT room, with a bit of crowd control.

So there’ll be kids who’ll play up, and they’ll be withdrawn to be taught by real teachers, but the majority of staff just need to be minimum wage babysitters on term time only contracts.

And when the government sees the potential savings, they’ll jump at it.

11. slugtrial

slugtrial New commenter

I started an OU degree course, but it didn’t suit me. In those days, assignments arrived in the post. It was all very detached. I signed up for an InSET degree. We went to the local university from 5pm to 8pm, once a week. The interaction is what made it loads better for me. It helped me learn a lot more. I was more motivated. The chats in the break were valuable.

I’ve done a lot of online training recently. It feels a lot like the old OU, even with digital interaction. A face on a screen with 19 others is pretty dull, in my opinion.

Online learning has big holes at the moment.

agathamorse and drvs like this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

There will be kids who play up are withdrawn and then taught by real teachers in a classroom?

I suspect that a lot will play up then and there would be complaints like no one's business from the hood kids patents saying that it wasn't fair that they were stuck on a screen all day learning nothing. Whilst the naughty ones are being taught by a teacher.

And they would be right.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. ridleyrumpus

I always wanted to take an astronomy degree and looked into the OU a decade or so ago but put it off due to, life.tgevfees were reasonable.

Now I go back to have a look and the fees are huge, whisky tango foxtrot!

agathamorse likes this.
  14. ridleyrumpus

Be realistic, the number of teenagers who given lovely weather an intrinsic reason to learn but more probably revise what may never be needed again is a pretty damned low percentage.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  15. colacao17

Well then I'm not going to criticise the universities for offering the places to those who did the revision ahead of those who didn't.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  16. slstrong123

slstrong123 New commenter

I think if you would have been doing A levels and suddenly now your not, then if you can do some self study in the subject you have applied to uni to do, then that's not a bad starting point. My son is doing reading and a mooc (?), so he is motivated to study, but not just endless revision and exam practice for exams that he's probably not going to now sit.

bessiesmith2 and agathamorse like this.
  17. DrJay

DrJay Occasional commenter

The Open University is now Exclusive University, charging outrageous fees.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Been saying this for ages.

19. ParakeetGreen

ParakeetGreen New commenter

I thought that was already the case in many schools, bar the minimum wage? That is to say, there's huge numbers of students who turn up and "make up the numbers" in classes as well as too many who are at the behavioural level that has not progressed from the baby level ie it's still about behaviour as opposed to cognitive level of development during their physical and mental development years Primary-Secondary.

In both cases, there's lack of motivation to learn and likely what is available to learn is not perceived as valuable: It may in fact be too academic. Notably girls tend to do well "following rules". Thus with the lock-down you'll see middle-class girls possibly performing very well, possibly a little above average even(!) and working-class boys as a contrast group "falling off the map"!

In both cases though with different outcomes: Teachers are baby-sitting in regular class time. In both cases there's probably too much class time for what is needed albeit "need" is very different between both groups!