1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns re adequate online learning..

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Apr 30, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

But this isn't normal circumstances, pretty far from it.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. Symingtons

Symingtons New commenter

Daughter should spend more time enjoying the time with her daughter - sharing her interests and skills with her. Year 4 is what - 8 years old - a wonderful time to spark interests in cultural, artistic or any other areas. Once her daughter gets to Y6 or above, this opportunity won't happen again.

Maybe 'daughter' needs to sort out her priorities and start being a real parent.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Self important much? :rolleyes:

agathamorse likes this.
  4. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

I spoke to a HT in England yesterday. His view of online learning was for his teachers to out work on the school website and if the students wanted to do it, the teachers would give them feedback. His cohort included students from very socially deprived areas who have no support from parents at home. He was being realistic. Half of his students did not have internet access at home. The ones with internet access would jump ahead of the ones who dont.
    For him online lessons were simply not a practical proposition.

What would Spielman say to him?

5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

The idea has long been held that schools and teachers somehow have an exclusivity on " learning."
    Hopefully, this idea will be undergoing a rethink. Any number of parents are discovering themselves as educators and adapting to the situation - yes, with help and support from remote resources but now actively engaging with their child's upbringing. I hope to see a huge change in many of my students upon their return. The families that rate school, and teachers as " evil" -and there are many, will unfortunately still slouch on the sofa of life, chewing their collective cud.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

However this time teachers have been told that the curriculum is suspended for the time being. This gives school the freedom to continue with it or give some slack to let children cope with a horrid situation. As long as the school is consistent across classes it will be fine, certainly in primary I accept year 10 and 12 might need a bit more.

If parents want more there is always Oak Academy or BBC.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 New commenter

We are still being paid so are still working. I am at a lovely school in a disadvantaged area. We do send out work and are continuously looking at how we can make things better for the children. SLT are working as hard if not harder than we are. I do appreciate that we may well not be typical of most schools in that way. However, regardless of how much we try to get it right, lots of children aren't engaging with us directly. I guess it doesn't mean they are not doing anything. Because of the nature of our school, lots of children are getting phone calls home/food parcels etc so some are saying they are working, some can't be bothered and for many it is just too difficult for many different reasons.
    I can't wait to be back at school (not until it is safe of course) but can't imagine how difficult things are going to be when we do get back. As you can imagine, most of the children who are doing the work (which isn't many) are also the children who were doing well before. Those children who were way behind and many of the ones who were doing okay are doing nothing. Most of my current class who had a target of reaching ARE at the end of the year were clinging onto their target with their fingertips. It will take nothing short of a miracle to get many of these children where they should be by the end of their time at primary school as it was already a battle.

8. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Ain’t that the truth

agathamorse likes this.
  9. ridleyrumpus

Some of my more negative correspondents on the issue of the duty of state schools in this crisis suggest that schools which provide no online education are doing a better or more responsible job than those now working well online

If that were true, why do we have schools at all?

Andrew Adonis

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1256538469645594624?s=19

Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  10. ridleyrumpus

Personally I think he missed his calling, he should have been a navvy.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

This doesn't sound very good to me. I agree to a certain extent with other posters that this is a valuable opportunity to spend quality time with the family making memories - and I hope all those who are able to are having a lovely time together. Bear in mind though that many parents are required to work from home so may not have the 'extended holiday' feel of some households.

A balance needs to be had though. As someone else pointed out, if a child was removed from school for 6 months, we would be concerned in school about them falling behind. Of course some children will not be accessing online work at the moment for many reasons, often associated with disadvantage but I would be disappointed if my own children were not being encouraged to keep learning while they are at home.

From my own anecdotal evidence, my children's primary school have got it just right. Daily lessons sent out - easy to follow instructions for parents - occupies most of the morning and includes maths, English and one other subject. This leaves every afternoon free for exercise and nice family activities.

12. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

But the difference now is that most, of not all, students will be falling behind. It is just a matter of to what extent.

Sally006 and agathamorse like this.
  13. gainly

gainly Star commenter

I tutor a year 12 student. They've been set no work at all and just told to work from the textbook. Presumably the teachers are enjoying a holiday on full pay. This is a grammar school.

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

One essential, yet not frequently mentioned aspect of this online teaching experience has been the need to ensure that the instructions are clear enough for students to follow and that explanations are succinct and unambiguous -they have no real recourse to the " I don't get it Miss/Sir " safety net. Moreover, these instructions need to be clear for the parents since they are in loco doctores and some of their frustration may be because they " don't get it" either.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  15. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

Yes, I definitely agree. When some of my (secondary) colleagues have been sharing examples of the work they have been setting, I have sometimes been left baffled simply by the knowledge of on-line technology required even to access the work. Then I think, if that's my response as a reasonably motivated graduate, how soon would a less motivated teenager give up on trying to work out what they were meant to do?

16. ridleyrumpus

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  17. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I think we have done well to set up some excellent online learning for our primary children - deliberately aimed at making the older children as independent as possible. Staff use Teams to chat and support them daily daily and continuously. We mark assignments sent electronically, as pupils to re-submit after improvements etc. We suggest through links to online video tutorials if it helps but we don’t do them ourselves following Union advice. Leaving the children lots of creative opportunities to present work as been a revelation in just how creative some of our are. We do have a few with less engagement, when they are on it is clear that neither child nor parent has read instructions and hence why things have gone wrong. Predictable. Same families never read letters either. In the main, though, the level of work and pupil engagement in it has been very well received.

18. ridleyrumpus

19. ridleyrumpus

If you read the report this is predominantly work for year 13's...

20. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I'm not sure what anyone would expect year 13 to be doing. Myself and one other colleague teach year 13. We set work to finish the course, to be honest we had pretty much finished when the lockdown came, so that took two weeks. Since Easter we have pointed them at some free on line courses from the OU. They can get a free certificate if completion and send it to us .They know what they do won't count toward a grade so only the most motivated will do this.