1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns re adequate online learning..

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, Apr 30, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

I have written to Amanda Spielman, the chief inspector of schools, to express concern that many schools are not providing adequate online learning & support during the crisis.
    @Ofstednews has a key role to play in monitoring schools & highlighting good & poor practice

Andrew Adonis

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1255894541514739716?s=19

2. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Ignore him he's drunk

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Loving the comments on twitter...all fantastic.

agathamorse and ridleyrumpus like this.
  4. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

Andrew Adonis, the guy who said 'contextual value added doesn't help students get to university'.

So OFSTED and the DfE stopped considering the context of a school in it's progress judgements.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

He's welcome to take my bottom set year 10s for an hour and demonstrate

6. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

He's welcome to take a long walk off a short pier. What an ar&ehole.

7. ridleyrumpus

"
    I don’t for a moment apologise for saying yesterday that every state school should provide a full online learning programme & that Ofsted should be highlighting good & poor practice

I’ve yet to meet a parent or a motivated student who doesn’t agree. So I think do most teachers"

Andrew Adonis

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1256096699791048704?s=19

Well that's a non reply to the push back he got for yesterday's ill thought out tweet.

agathamorse likes this.
  8. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Just displaying how out of touch, how utterly ignorant he is of the learning process, the needs of the students the limitations of the technology and how completely unfit for purpose he and the organisation he represents are.

Not just not helping education, actively destroying it.

The man is a complete and utter waste of time and education would be in a far better state if he had never existed.

9. ridleyrumpus

Now don't hold back, just say it as you see it...

colacao17 and agathamorse like this.
  10. ridleyrumpus

Having read his wiki I can see where he could have got his perception of poor online learning, he is a director of RM.

(mutters "never in my 30 years in IT have I seen such a SS of a firm as RM, overpriced *** using proprietary tech to lock you in. Their **** held back IT in schools for a decade or more")

border_walker and agathamorse like this.
  11. colacao17

colacao17 Senior commenter

Ohhhhhh .........so in reality he's hoping to promote the tech sold by his own firm and line his own pocket?
    Another one wanting his snout further into the trough, hoping to fleece the general public.

I'd have the likes of him up against a wall.

Catgirl1964 and agathamorse like this.
  12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

Adequate or not, it only has any value at all if the end user (students) are using it. Is it proposed that homes are inspected. Parents whose own school experience was negative will often, but not always, pass on their feeling to their children. The students who did no work in my lessons continue to do no work now they're at home. Moreover, a family with 2 or 3 kids at school is going to find it tough to organise computer access to anything regardless of its quality.

13. ridleyrumpus

Ay you can lead a horse to water...

I suppose there could be an expectation to call the parents of every child who has not completed their work, as well as do video lessons, set work, prepare work, mark work, supervise their own children doing their work, multi tasking access to it, and .....

Sally006, agathamorse and Catgirl1964 like this.
  14. pair_of_argyles

pair_of_argyles Occasional commenter

In the early 21st C. the BBC built on their TV and radio schools materials to provide a vast range of high quality free easily available on-line educational sources - Bitesize; Learning Zone; Learning Portal etc . All of which were well used and updated regularly. These would have been a god-send for all in times like these

Unfortunately In 2007 BESA (The British Educational Suppliers Association) took the BBC to the European Court who ruled that the BBC JAM on-line materials represented state aided anti competitive materials

In 2009/2010 the same organisation submitted a Fair Trading complaint to the BBC stating that their education programming was anti competitive.

Consequently the BBC had to remove almost all of their (TV and radio included) educational materials.

I leave you to join the dots

bessiesmith2 likes this.
  15. caterpillartobutterfly

16. ridleyrumpus

I intervene in education debates rarely nowadays & had forgotten how negative the vanguard of ‘oppositional’ teacher leaders are to requirements for public accountability. They regard public expectations as an imposition not a duty

Fortunately most teachers are far more positive

Andrew Adonis

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1256154641781440512?s=19

Just how deep can he dig that hole?

17. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Anecdote only. Daughter has been ranting on the phone. Granddaughter in Y4 has been given next to nothing to do by the school, no clear programme beyond arithmetic drill and practice. On that one anecdote, Adonis is right.
    However whether this is reflected in other schools and other year groups I have no idea.

18. ridleyrumpus

Speech in the house of lord
    Yr4 Covid lockdown should be to very little academically imho, drawing, gardening (if possible), nature walks etc etc.

19. caterpillartobutterfly

Is he? Or are the school right to say "You know something. You'll never get this chance again. Have an extended amount of time to play and have fun. Enjoy these bonus few months away from the pressures of school. We trust you and your parents to decide what is right and what you can do."

20. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Except that any reasonable prediction is that normal school won't be in action until September. If kids were off school for that long under normal circumstances, teachers would be jumping up and down about it.
    I accept that it's difficult and that it's especially difficult for the younger groups.