1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns over child who perhaps should not be in mainstream school

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pjhewett, Mar 10, 2012.

1. pjhewett

pjhewett New commenter

Good heavens! Does the school get extra funding or something? Otherwise why on earth would a HT countenance keeping a child who is so clearly a danger to others? A school geared towards dealing with ASD would probably serve his interests so much better too - he cannot be happy by the sound of it and is clearly dealing with it in the only way he can.

2. Ask for help from another more experienced school or teacher.
    We have Enhaced Mainstream Schools in North Yorkshire that do outreach and will help will lots of advice and suppport.
    Does something like this exist near you? I don't think it would need parental consent - the school makes the referral and the help comes.
    Worth looking into??

3. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

parents of children being hurt should forbid the school (in writing) to place this child anywhere near there child. And go to small claims court if they are hurt.
    I have always worked under the premise that i must be happy for my child (or now grandchildren) to attend the school where i work, I would not accept my granddaughter being hurt by such a child.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

What is the child actually getting out of attending the school? It seems to me he is getting short changed too.

5. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

Welcome to TES, salis

6. Thank you!
    And thanks to all who have replied.
    I just find it strange that this child is somehow being prevented from going to a school more suited to their needs.
    Parents have complained to me about their children being hurt and I now just refer them to the SENCO or the Head. The parents are really understanding.
    I have to hand in two completely separate set of plans in all subjects for this child each Monday morning. One plan outlines what he is to do in class and the other out of the class if he has hurt a child. As the child is mainly doing practical activities this also meas a lot of preparing resources beforehand and then there's the time taken out of the day to speak with his TA (who isn't very experienced and does need each and every thing on the plan explaining to them).
    It's becomming really stressful for me as we have to start each day with the boy in the classroom following his 'inside' plan. He then hurts a child and spends time outside and follows his 'outside' plan.The inside plan becomes redundant and it's such a waste of time planning it. The inside plan involves him working in groups or with a partner (as these are his IEP targets and I've been told I must include them each day) which he just cannot manage!! He hurts any child he works with - either by screaming in their ears or punching them, kicking them etc.
    I feel I'm being really specific now but he has really long finger nails. His mother refuses to cut them and we can't cut them. He scratches other children (on the hand, face, neck) and they invariably bleed and this is the main way he is hurting others at the moment.
    It's just a really difficult situation.
    Sal

7. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Do you have an autism outréach team and what does the educational psychologist say? I'd seek union advice over being stabbed with a pencil.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I would prepare a "workshop" box for him " class="lightbox cboxElement" title="Cache 212401 Desk Organiser 3 Drawer 250x201x335mm White Leatherette][​IMG]I use a drawer unit like this. The top drawer has literacy work, 2nd has maths and bottom has topic. I use lots of laminated sheets so I can change the work quickly - so if we are doing addition for example I can just insert a new set of numbers and this is always available if needed.