1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns about the tagging changes coming up

Discussion in 'Tes Authors' Group' started by EC_Resources, Sep 11, 2019.

1. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

Hi there,

A few of us are concerned about what's going to happen with the system automatically retagging our resources on Wednesday. How is this going to be done? For example, if someone has tagged 3 age ranges, will the system automatically go for the one in the middle?
    We're worried about the system getting it wrong and that some of us will have to spend 8 hours or so (if it's 30 seconds to retag 800 resources), going back and retagging all of our resources. We need a lot more information on this.

Also the email says about how we won't have to to tag more than one type of resource anymore - but what if our resources do contain multiple types of resource? What will be our options then?

This is a very big and serious and time consuming change for many of us - and there's not much time. Can we hear more about what's going to happen please?

Thanks

TheGingerTeacher and astarlevels like this.
  2. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

I would like to echo EC_Resources about the types of resources and raise my own concerns over this.

I appreciate it's going to be done to streamline the process and stop people overtagging BUT what a product is for 2 age ranges as it's taught in both?

For example my reflections worksheet is applicable for KS3 and KS4 as it is taught in both keystages. I couldn't in all honesty say it was more relevant to one than another. It would entirely depend on the ability level of the class!

I'm also concerned that someone is going to go through my resources and do it for me, then i'm still going to go through and check that it's in the right place and that's going to take up a lot of time.

3. EC_Resources

EC_Resources Occasional commenter

4. tesAuthorTeam

tesAuthorTeam Administrator Staff Member TES Authors' forum host

We do appreciate your concerns around our changes. Rest assured, we have performed extensive research into how this will affect users and our automated re-tagging will be accurate for almost all resources. At this point in time there is no action you need to take. We will inform you of more details when the changes take place next week.

Where appropriate age tagging is clear from the resource title we will make automatic changes. If you wish to overwrite automatic changes, you can.

We understand that sometimes one age category is not enough and this is why we will enable a second age tag also. This will ensure that the resource appears under both age categories when searched. Choosing which is the 'main age' is your choice. If not specific to one/two age group(s) you can select 'age not applicable'. The most important place to explain the appropriate age groups for the resource is the resource description section.

The new taxonomy of resource types will be detailed next week - we have not eliminated any but we have grouped some into overarching categories to account for situations where we currently see different 'file types' grouped within a resource. Essentially there is very little change here for you but if you wish to overwrite the resource types, you can.

I appreciate that the main concern here is the time it will take you to go through your shop. We have tested every automated re-tagging system that we could think of to ensure that we accurately re-tag the vast majority of the resource catalogue and the intention of all of this is to save you as much time as possible. These changes will enable users to find the resources they are looking for more easily which will in turn benefit you all. We hope that you understand that these changes benefit you with the least amount of work we could leave for you to have to do manually.