1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns about a MOS

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by cb23, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Morning,

I have an interesting role within my school, I teach 0.2 and support 3.5days to balance life with home! The dept I work in is made up of 1 classroom and two MOS - the HOD and me. So I spend most of my working hours in the same room as the other MOS.

I have had concerns about the quality of the teaching and learning the takes place in their lessons for quite a few months now and I did raise them with SLT earlier in the year. My understanding is that intervention was put in place and when the Head retired at Easter there was a management plan in place for this MOS.

I have left it for a couple of months, but spoke to the new Head last week about my concerns and how I don't feel there has been much improvement, but I am not sure how I feel about her response. Her first thoughts on moving forward with the situation was to have a mediation meeting with the MOS concerned or to move me to another area of the school to work.

I am keen to know if anyone has any alternative solutions because I am struggling to come up with much myself, but don't feel that my moving will resolve the root of my concerns and I fear that a mediation meeting will make the professional relationship between myself and this MOS very very awkward. They are a very dominating character who does not see any wrong in their techniques and will not take advise from other people (to the point where a teacher brought in from another school to work with them refused to come back for the second day!)

I love my school, the staff and the pupils that I work with here, but I am despairing over this situation. I went to the head hoping for a way to move it forward, but it was put back on me "how would you like to see this resolved?" TBH if I knew that I would have done it already!

Any help will be very gratefully received. TIA

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ok can I just clarify - a) you are supporting this staff member in class and b ) he / she Is currently the subject of some sort of action plan to address their shortcomings ( recognised by the LT and presumably acknowledged by the member of staff concerned ? )

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

What is MOS?

What do you mean by support 3.5 days. Are you employed to support the staff or to support the pupils like a TA?

Surely the people/person has been observed in their teaching just like other teachers in the school so HT and SLT must be aware of how good or not they are.

4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Assumed MOS = member of staff ? I interpreted the post as working in the classroom and deployed by the MOS but supporting the students.

5. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

That's what I thought minnie me.

6. Sorry for being unclear. MOS = member of staff. I am a teacher for 1 day per week and an LSA/technician for the other 3.5 days. (I have been a teacher for 8 yrs and have opted to reduce my teaching time to support family life) The MOS has been on a management program, but is no longer on that, however, spending every day in the same room as this person I have not seen a great deal of improvement and still feel unhappy about the lessons that the pupils are having.

The head asked me to reflect upon my meeting with her and go back with ideas as to how to move forward. Her suggestions in the meeting were to move me to another subject area or to have a mediation meeting with the MOS, neither of which I am agreeable with. I am struggling to come up with ideas as to what I can do in the position that I am in. I am not in a position to manage this MOS, all I have come up with so far is a document that states the problem and the outcome and then advises as to what I think would help to get there - but like I say I am not in any position to implement those suggestions. So I am after any other ideas that anyone has.

TIA

7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Looking at this objectively I can only assume that the agreed targets for action ? on the management plan have been met (Obviously you can't be too specific as to what these are but you do talk about improvement or lack of so you must know what has been expected ) .I don't think moving to another subject area is the answer although clearly this has been judged as something which is acceptable to the school. Perhaps you should take up the offer of meeting with the staff member concerned ? I am not sure why this does not seem an option. If you think that the students are genuinely 'suffering ' or disadvantaged as a result of the staff member's practice then I think this has got to be worth considering. The children are always the priority. Of course you also need some hard facts / evidence to back up your concerns and as you say some ways of how this may be tackled. Even if you remain powerless to change what you perceive to be poor / inadequate teaching ? then you can be happy in the knowledge that you did your best to address. To be honest the LT do not seem convinced that there is / should be anything to action and without its backing you are not in a strong position.

8. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

It is not your job to manage staff - you have taken a lesser role precisely to have more time, and less stress. Taking on management within that role, intervening with other staff on behalf of management , was not what you signed up for and should not be expected of you.

Issues like this are of course difficult and opinion can play a part in what is acceptable teaching practice. For a slow burn course of action I'd suggest keeping a record of examples of the poor practice you are observing. This could then be shared with the governors and senior management, it is their job to manage poorly performing members of staff (and those performing well!)

From what you have said so far what you want is a reassurance that this member of staff's teaching will improve. Raising concerns with the governors is another option.

A teacher resistant to change can be a difficult thing to have within a school. I can well imagine a leadership team just wanting things to run smoothly - but that's not having high aspirations for the students. Governors may have more interest.

I suggest going back to the Head and saying you want to know that there is going to be change. That you're willing to offer feedback on what is happening in class.

As for you personally, are you happy to stay in the class whilst that change happens? I can imagine that being in there could be stressful. You could take the offer of a move.

Kind regards

Jo

9. Thank you for your responses.

I don't know what the targets were, I only know that there was intervention in place. But presumably they were all met and HT was happy. But, from a cynical point of view there is a difference between what she sees in one lesson and what I see every day and this is one of my frustrations.

The reason I don't want to meet with the MOS is two-fold really. One, we work in the same room together everyday and telling them that I don't think their teaching is up to par will make or working relationship a very awkward one, I think. Especially because I am in a much lower position than they are. And secondly, I think that the MOS will probably take a great deal of control of the meeting anyway and I will end up just backing down - they have quite a dominating character and I will either back down or take the bait!

I have collated, what I consider to be, a considerable amount of evidence and I am currently trying to get in to meet to head and have a follow up meeting. I think I will then leave it to the HT how it should be taken forward. If nothing happens then I shall just continue to help as many of the pupils as I can in the lessons and know that I am doing the best I can.

I know that I am not the only person that has this opinion (at least 5 others have expressed concerns to me) of this MOS and I have mentioned to them that they have to share those concerns because the head won't accept them third hand, but I am not going to ask them to go and see the head because that is a massive ask, I know from going myself that it took me a lot of courage and psyching myself up to speak to the HT.

At the moment I am happy to stay in the dept I am in. It is my teaching subject and I like knowing that I have the subject knowledge to support pupils in lessons when I am in my LSA role. But what I miss is working collaboratively with other staff and some weeks the frustration of sitting through these lessons is unbearable, so for those two reasons I would consider a move of dept further down the line.

For now I shall take what I have got and see what HT says. Thank you all for your input, it has been a massive help.

10. Thank you for your responses.

I don't know what the targets were, I only know that there was intervention in place. But presumably they were all met and HT was happy. But, from a cynical point of view there is a difference between what she sees in one lesson and what I see every day and this is one of my frustrations.

The reason I don't want to meet with the MOS is two-fold really. One, we work in the same room together everyday and telling them that I don't think their teaching is up to par will make or working relationship a very awkward one, I think. Especially because I am in a much lower position than they are. And secondly, I think that the MOS will probably take a great deal of control of the meeting anyway and I will end up just backing down - they have quite a dominating character and I will either back down or take the bait!

I have collated, what I consider to be, a considerable amount of evidence and I am currently trying to get in to meet to head and have a follow up meeting. I think I will then leave it to the HT how it should be taken forward. If nothing happens then I shall just continue to help as many of the pupils as I can in the lessons and know that I am doing the best I can.

I know that I am not the only person that has this opinion (at least 5 others have expressed concerns to me) of this MOS and I have mentioned to them that they have to share those concerns because the head won't accept them third hand, but I am not going to ask them to go and see the head because that is a massive ask, I know from going myself that it took me a lot of courage and psyching myself up to speak to the HT.

At the moment I am happy to stay in the dept I am in. It is my teaching subject and I like knowing that I have the subject knowledge to support pupils in lessons when I am in my LSA role. But what I miss is working collaboratively with other staff and some weeks the frustration of sitting through these lessons is unbearable, so for those two reasons I would consider a move of dept further down the line.

For now I shall take what I have got and see what HT says. Thank you all for your input, it has been a massive help.

11. Jo3Grace

Jo3Grace New commenter

Good luck, it is a horrible situation to be in. But if you can effect change that will benefit the children, and they are what we are all in this for, so when you need to make yourself feel brave remember them.

If other staff have concerns too then encouraging them to speak up at the same time as you could make your one voice more powerful.

Best wishes

Jo Grace