1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerns about a child

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by BLRPH05, Jan 18, 2012.

1. HI, I teach Reception and I am the SENCo but I'm new in post and obviously don't have all the answers! A little boy in my class was showing behaviours that made me think 'autistic sprectrum' I didn't use these words directly with mum but I think nursery had previously. Mum said she was seeing the paediatrician and I got a conors rating scale and another questionnaire to fill in. She was then referred somewhere else (she has never told me directly where) and child went to be assessed in some sort of playcentre. This happened this week and mum came to me and said she was told they don't think there are any problems and that he may just be slightly later developing. She assures me I will receive a report soon.

Any advice on what I should do now? I still have concerns and the behaviours haven't subsided. I think it would be a good idea to involve autism outreach (even without a diagnosis) beause they will be able to offer me some practical advice but mum was difficult initially, hiding information, not telling me things etc and I think that now she has been told there are no problems she won't give consent for anything...how should I proceed with this as teacher and as SENCo?
    Thanks for any help!

2. HI, I teach Reception and I am the SENCo but I'm new in post and obviously don't have all the answers! A little boy in my class was showing behaviours that made me think 'autistic sprectrum' I didn't use these words directly with mum but I think nursery had previously. Mum said she was seeing the paediatrician and I got a conors rating scale and another questionnaire to fill in. She was then referred somewhere else (she has never told me directly where) and child went to be assessed in some sort of playcentre. This happened this week and mum came to me and said she was told they don't think there are any problems and that he may just be slightly later developing. She assures me I will receive a report soon.

Any advice on what I should do now? I still have concerns and the behaviours haven't subsided. I think it would be a good idea to involve autism outreach (even without a diagnosis) beause they will be able to offer me some practical advice but mum was difficult initially, hiding information, not telling me things etc and I think that now she has been told there are no problems she won't give consent for anything...how should I proceed with this as teacher and as SENCo?
    Thanks for any help!

3. languageisheartosay

languageisheartosay Occasional commenter

I think you have every right to ask to be shown the report in confidence because it will be so helpful to you. It might cause a bit of an upset if you go to autism outreach unless the report leaves the possibility of ASD open. You may like to try and get a detailed language assessment because children with marked comprehension delay (even though they may have normal attainments in non verbal skills) often show up using very strange behaviours and reacting in unexpected ways simply because they have not understood what is going on!

4. Thank you so much for this.....I'm learning more everyday.
    I will definately look into this for him.