1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

concerned

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mickymilan, Aug 25, 2011.

1. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Hi all, having completed my PGCE year and secured a job I've been waiting patiently for my QTS certificate to arrive from the GTC. Getting a little anxious, I called my Uni today to see what was going on, only to be told that they hadn't sent any of my stuff to the GTC.
    I completed my last skills test in the first week of July, which I was told was fine, and called them up as soon as I passed and they said they would update it and pass it on. They haven't, the excuse given was staff cutbacks and it has been overlooked. I have been told that all my details will have to be seen by the board and external examiner but that will only be possible 5th September - the first day in my school. What happens now? Because someone can't do their job I can't get paid as a qualified teacher until at least the last week in September when all my stuff gets processed at the GTC - assuming the school will want to employ an 'unqualified' teacher.

2. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Hi all, having completed my PGCE year and secured a job I've been waiting patiently for my QTS certificate to arrive from the GTC. Getting a little anxious, I called my Uni today to see what was going on, only to be told that they hadn't sent any of my stuff to the GTC.
    I completed my last skills test in the first week of July, which I was told was fine, and called them up as soon as I passed and they said they would update it and pass it on. They haven't, the excuse given was staff cutbacks and it has been overlooked. I have been told that all my details will have to be seen by the board and external examiner but that will only be possible 5th September - the first day in my school. What happens now? Because someone can't do their job I can't get paid as a qualified teacher until at least the last week in September when all my stuff gets processed at the GTC - assuming the school will want to employ an 'unqualified' teacher.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

This is not by any means the 'right' answer.

But in my school, no-one would actually check this for a few weeks (if at all ever) and so if you didn't mention it to us we wouldn't know. We have two NQTs starting this September and if you were one of them, you would be fine.

You won't actually get paid until the end of September anyway, so probably you will be ok.

4. gsp06sk

gsp06sk New commenter

Hi Mickymilan.
    I'm starting my NQT year in a 6th form college on tues & I had to take my certificates (QTS, BSc & MSc) to HR before I started. Do you have a letter from uni confirming you passed? I got this a couple of days after my course finished & used that at agencies until certificate came through. Good luck!

5. Legally, you cannot start induction or be paid as a qualified teacher until you have QTS. If your university cannot recommend you for QTS until 5th September (and, let's be honest if the board meets that day then it will take a further few days), then it could cause complications.
    The Head has a responsibility to check that you have QTS before you start on your job, but again, in all honesty different schools/LAs do this in different ways, some require you to provide the necessary documentation to the LA HR department, others delegate it to the school HR/Bursar in others the Head looks at the documentation. They will always be small delays and a matter of a few days here or there will be immaterial, but if it takes weeks - as it could, then there may be issues.
    The worst case scenario is that your induction start will be delayed and the start date will coincide with the date on your QTS certificate and this could mean your induction running into next year - this would not affect progression up the pay scale. Additionally, the LA could decide to pay you for X days on the unqualified scale and the rest on the qualified scale (starting on the date on your QTS certificate).
    Legally the school could -in the extreme - withdraw the job offer as you will fail to show that you have QTS at the start of your employment, BUT this would be extremely harsh for you and present the school with immense problems in that they would be a teacher short so that would be very unlikely to happen in my opinion.
    I would contact your university and outline to them the issues that their 'understaffing' could present to you and your employment. Ask if there is any way that your recommendation could be made using 'chair's action' - this is a process where if, for any reason a full consideration cannot be made under an exam board e.g. lack of paperwork, reesubmission of an assignment etc. the exam board can allow for chair's action - this means that once the paperwork and conditions are met the chair of the exam board can make a decision on behalf of the whole board - this means that long delays in considering minor issues can be avoided. It may well be that the exam board did not grant 'chair's action' for any outstanding issues when it met last, so there would be no option but to wait until the next board.
    You must also apraise the school of the situation - keeping quiet is not professional and could again potentially lead to problems. e.g. in the unlikely event of a problem in the school where you were involved as the 'teacher' if it came to light that technically you were unqualified then the school's insurance could be placed in doubt - insurers love a loophole to get out of paying out and you could be deemed to be unprofessional and 'cheating' the system by claiming that you are qualified when you are not. I know that 99.9% of time nothing should happen that would cause such issues, but I would rather be safe than sorry - telling the school may well just mean that the Head will press to get this resolved as soon as possible. perhaps even contacting the university on your behalf - should a problem arise, then you would be in the clear if you have made your employer fully aware of the circumstances.
    James

6. mickymilan

mickymilan New commenter

Thanks for the replies

7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The school, when told, would be likely to initially pay you on the Unqualified scale point that is almost the same as the Qualified Scale point they previously agreed with you. Yr ou would move to the Qualified scale as soon as QTS is officially conferred and should not lose outfinancially by a significant amount.