1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerned at new class levels

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by midge49, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Hello,
    Next year I am having the class who are currently next door to my year 1 and I am taking them to year 2. I am concerned at the what I believe to be inflated levels the children in this class are being given and am concerned I will be landed in it next year when they can't possibly move on because they weren't the level they said they were this year. Is there anything I can do? Next door feel the pressure for results but I can't honestly move children up if I am not 100% that they are achieving a level and so am more cautious.
    Midge49

2. Hello,
    Next year I am having the class who are currently next door to my year 1 and I am taking them to year 2. I am concerned at the what I believe to be inflated levels the children in this class are being given and am concerned I will be landed in it next year when they can't possibly move on because they weren't the level they said they were this year. Is there anything I can do? Next door feel the pressure for results but I can't honestly move children up if I am not 100% that they are achieving a level and so am more cautious.
    Midge49

3. I have had a similar problem this year with my Y7 class. Some were working at P8 in Y6 and did not sit an exam so were assessed as a B level. Because we use a computer analysis to set target levels that does not recognise levels below 2, these pupils were set an end of year target of 3c. SLT do not understand that a pupil at P8 needs to achieve level 1c,b,c then levels 2c.2b.2a before they reach 3c. So my least able pupils were expected to achieve 7 sub levels of progress in one year - these are pupils with Statements for significant learning difficulties!
    I tried to get the target levels changed, was told that I did not know what I was talking about so have ignored the levels totally. I assess them accurately, based on their actual ability, and so get the dreaded red shading on SIMS when I enter their levels but I am not worried about it! I have the evidence from their work and my observations, thier parents are more than happy with the progress they are making and if anyone complains, I will just get them to sit in my lessons for a couple of weeks to see how weak these pupils are!

4. Thank you for your reply. It is good to see that I am not the only one trying to prove a childs ability against their apparent ability on a computer system! x

5. NQT08

NQT08 Occasional commenter

Take a selection of their books - (range of levels)
    Work with current teacher and an impartial teacher (SMT if possible) and moderate them together.

6. If chn are SEN then you should be using the progress materials target setting document for those on P-levels. Your SMT need a bit of education from your SENCo.

http://www.devon.gov.uk/sc-jan1101010a.pdf

Found a link which should give you ammunition to get your target setting changed.

7. Thanks :) x