1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerned about upcoming observation

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rainbowdrop86, Mar 5, 2012.

1. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Have lesson on on Wednesday, with focus on assessment, differentiation and reflection in a literacy lesson. Head has also said she will look at points from last ob, which for me was to refer to LO more which should be clear and concise. Having planned my lesson I'm now concerned it won't focus on any of these, but I don't want to do a one off. We're in the middle of writing our own version of George's marvellous medicine, and are about to write the part where he cooks it up. So it's a planning lesson essentially. My LO is to 'to improve our descriptive writing'. I'm aware this could be more concise but each group will be improving it in different ways, so need an overall LO for the lesson. So we'll role play, come up with descriptions on board, pick out boring descriptions, and each group will use a differentiated way of improving. So more able will use thesauruses to improve colour words etc, core group will create similes, extending to alliteration, lower group will concentrate on sentence structure using given descriptions. Top group will think of their own successs criteria for using thesauruses. Then we'll look at new descriptions to see if we have achieved LO. Will reflect on learning by talking about what they will remember when they write the section, eg rembering to use similes, words with the same sounds, using classroom resources etc. how does this sound?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Looks and sounds fine to me.

Assessment is key in all lessons. How will you know children have met the LO? How eill you know part way through if they are likely to or if you need to change things? Make that part clear on the plan and you'll have assessment sussed. (Don't write 'mark their books later' as one trainee did for me a few weeks back!)

Differentiation you seem to have sorted.

For the reflection/plenary you could make a checklist of what to remember that will them form the SC the following lesson. So they tell you and you all discuss it as planned, but you or a TA type or scribe the points made.

I know what you mean about the LO. You could have the one you've chosen as the one at the front on the board or wherever. Then have group ones on A3 paper on tables and ask children to read it before they start their work. Have space for your top group to add their SC and have everyone else's SC there ready.

Or something similar...I dunno.

3. rainbowdrop86

Thanks for that Minnie minx. I think in terms of assessment it'll be stopping throughout to serif they think they are achieving LO or not and then changing and adapting to that. I'm aware my middles might do similes quite easily which is when I'll introduce alliteration for them

4. Possibly assess mid-way through by using a mini-plenary: remind children of their focus then children share their most succesful sentence/word with talk partner - talk partner feeds back (in the pair, not to whole class). You and TA (if you have one) wander and listen, commenting where needed, to assess who is on track and who isn't.
    Does that make sense? I think I've described what I mean very badly...!

5. rainbowdrop86

No that does make sense thank you. Its all things I would normally do, but I suppose I should prob make it explicit in my plan

6. Definitely - make everything completely explicit in your plan, so it cannot be misinterpreted/go unnoticed/forgotten about if you don't get immediate feedback!