1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerned about school behavior system

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by TheNqt201731, Jun 20, 2017.

1. TheNqt201731

TheNqt201731 New commenter

Hello

I have recently joined a school and I am NQT I am concerned about their behavior policy and the lack of respect students have for it. The school have a yellow card and red card system. The yellow card results in a lunch time 15 minutes detention with the classroom teacher, the red card detention results in a lunch time detention with whoever is on detention duty. If students fail to attend the detention then they receive an after school detention with SLT the following day.

So as a result the most I can do as a classroom teacher is a issue a red card detention. I am contentiously seeing the same students receive only red card detentions for what I would consider serious things, such as swearing at the teacher. The students do not really take this policy seriously so this leads to bad behavior in lessons. I am particularity struggling with a class, who are ok on some days but really downhill on other days. The students have told me they don't care about the red card detentions. Is this normal for a school? I have asked for support with certain classes, however all I get is the Head of Department 'having a word' with the students at the start of the lesson.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Unfortunately you have to follow the school's behaviour policy, no matter how useless it is.

There are kids in every school who don't care about detention. At my last school they had to spend one hour after school copying the school rules over and over again - who would choose to do that (through displaying poor behaviour or not completing classwork and homework)? Plenty of them, actually.

At what point in your behaviour policy are parents phoned? Do any behaviours result in a day in isolation, or exclusion?

Ask your HOD if you can observe someone else, to see how they handle the behaviour. Ask to have someone observe you informally, and give feedback on behaviour management.

As you are new to the school they kids will prey on your lack of knowledge of the school rules, and will be tricky just to test you. Things will calm down in September as the new school year starts, and as they get to know you. As an NQT behaviour was the hardest thing for me to deal with.

1 person likes this.
  3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

@blueskydreaming is quite correct, including possible solutions. Realistically all you can do is persevere or consider getting out (but it will be quite difficult to find out if the next school is any better).

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I recall a similar system in response to a hierarchy of sanctions ( which included an on call 'patrol ' system / placement in an call room / placement with the HoD for the rest of the lesson / and (for serious misdemeanours) internal exclusion in an allocated Base ) = more options and more opportunities for the students to make amends. I also recall that given the nature of my setting / students the management of the system became almost unsustainable depending on staffing levels / time of the day / numbers. The admin, too, was huge. If anyone did a time and motion study ? ..... Well you get my drift .The initial detention was 10 minutes from memory at break / end of the day . It was not unusual that the same students were double / triple booked and yes there were students who contrived to be placed on the on call room at the same time and some did not much care about the detentions though to be fair many hated being in school longer than they had to be there.That said I agree that you need to follow the set up but as an NQT the school should be mindful of its responsibilty to you as an inexperienced member of staff.

5. custardcream2011

custardcream2011 New commenter

Sorry to hear about this. I do think that it sounds like a weak behaviour system - in the previous place I worked it was the same, the students either had a 15 minute break detention or a half hour lunch one. The point is they weren't after school - so the kids were just in detention on school time anyway, and often spent the detentions eating their lunch and trying to create more disruption.
    The only thing I feel able to advise is to use the system as consistently as possible. They might not care that much about the detentions, but they'll still care to some degree - after all it is their free time. As another poster has said, NQTs get it rough because you're new and relatively inexperienced (which isn't to say you aren't doing a good job!).
    Maybe discuss with SLT and see if other staff members have the same problem? I do think it sounds like it needs to be changed.

6. TheNqt201731

TheNqt201731 New commenter

Many thanks for all your responses, I feel better every time a read a post. I will give it my all to make sure I get this right. I have been observing lessons of more experienced teachers this week, I sometimes find it strange that they are not doing anything different to what I am doing, however the students tend to respect them a whole lot more. One of the key issues for me has been I came into the school as a supply teacher. So the students view me in a certain way. I think things such as a brand new seating plan could possibly help.

The HOD did support me today as he was with me at the beginning of the lesson and gave the students a talk. I will continue to try out new strategies. From what I have read phone calls home might be something that will work. A part me is a bit afraid to call, as I have never had to phone a parent before regarding a student's behavior.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Make ' good ' phone calls home too re conduct . Works well and makes a change from the kind of negative call parents get which is often the norm. Understand about the supply perception too

8. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

That's the thing though - students will try it on with new teachers and supply teachers, to see how far they can push you. You need to work there for a while to build up a reputation.

Ask you HOD to give you a little script for phoning home, or do a role play with them :)