1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerned about potential job

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by LFelton9, May 30, 2020.

1. kittykat94

kittykat94 New commenter

On the Wednesday before it was announced schools would be shut, I was verbally offered an NQT position at my dream school. After lock-down began, I was told that they were holding off sending out a contract until the situation became clearer. Since then I have emailed every few weeks to offer support and gain certain policies that were unavailable to me. I'm now starting to panic as I've had nothing in writing and I fear if I keep emailing, they'll get annoyed with me as they have enough to deal with at this moment in time without me pestering them. What can I do to try and put my mind at ease? Is this normal? Is it likely that my offer will be rescinded?

2. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

We can’t tell you that. Only they can.
    You have two options:
    -ask them directly if your job offer still stands and when you might be able to process pre employment checks etc.
    -wait

It’s not unreasonable to ask directly if everything is still okay with your offer. This is probably less “annoying” than emailing for other reasons just to remind them you exist. In any case they will still need a teacher when schools go back to normal and it is normal not to get your contract until you actually start a position. Written is best but a verbal offer is binding to some degree.

TheoGriff likes this.
  3. kittykat94

kittykat94 New commenter

Thank you, I've emailed them again and it's confirmed I was being overly paranoid :oops:
    Wish the vaccine for this virus is sorted soon, I am not doing well cooped up o_O

Owleyes00 and Mr-Mathematics like this.