1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerned about Ofsted

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by emma_8181, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Hi there,

I'm an NQT about to start a new job in September at a school with a notice to improve, which I am really looking forward to the challenge of. For my final placement for training, I was hoping to get a 'good' grading at the end of my final placement, however was disappointed that I only ended up with an overall satisfactory grade, for reasons being that I was not 'consistent' enough with applying behaviour management strategies, and other skills.
    As my new school will be undergoing Ofsted inspections fairly early on from me starting my new job I am now slightly concerned that if I can't even get a 'good' grading for my training, how am I ever going to get a 'good' grading from Ofsted when it will be that much harder and they are now changing all of the criteria!
    Any advice or guidance to calm my nerves a bit? It would all be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

Stuff Ofsted, primarily because everything becomes so artificial when they're around. Your focus is making sure that you are good enough from day to day and that those who observe you and work with you regularly know you're "good".
    Aim to be consistent, follow problems up, pass on serious issues when they arise, phone parents if you need to make a point. Sometimes it just takes time to develop your skills, which is something you and the department you are joining will work on when you arrive.