1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concerned about a child - possible CP incident

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by nearly qualified, Feb 5, 2011.

1. HI
    Don't want to say too much information but need a bit of advice - I have a child in my class who comes from what I would call a very unstable background - she is a nice enough child but doesn't have many friends as she is always a bit grubby looking and finds basic things difficult (i.e. taking off her cardigan/putting her coat on, wiping her own nose etc)the other children have picked up on this and whilst a few will offer her help others can be quite unkind to her.
    She lives with Mum who is an alcoholic and only sees real Dad occasionally but she clearly loves being at home with mum - constantly asks for her,can't wait to see her at home time etc)The part I am worried about though is she didnt come into school last week - we were informed she had an accident (scalding - which needed hospital treatment) The circumstances of the scalding to me seem very odd and quite disturbing. My HT told me about it and when I said to her surely this is a case for child protection she said 'you would think so'. My HT is the CPO and she didnt seem like she was going to do anyhting - I thought she should have to make a call to them - or am I wrong on this? I have never had anything like this to deal with before.
    Am I within my rights to make an anonymous call to Social services to air my concerns? I can't bear to think of what might happen to the little girl next and if something did happen I would feel terrible for not having done something about it. I know the incident happened at home and I don't have any evidence of her being 'mistreated' other than what I have said but I am worried this is going to escalate if something is not done soon.
    I just feel very concerned about her. Help, what should I do next?

2. HI
    Don't want to say too much information but need a bit of advice - I have a child in my class who comes from what I would call a very unstable background - she is a nice enough child but doesn't have many friends as she is always a bit grubby looking and finds basic things difficult (i.e. taking off her cardigan/putting her coat on, wiping her own nose etc)the other children have picked up on this and whilst a few will offer her help others can be quite unkind to her.
    She lives with Mum who is an alcoholic and only sees real Dad occasionally but she clearly loves being at home with mum - constantly asks for her,can't wait to see her at home time etc)The part I am worried about though is she didnt come into school last week - we were informed she had an accident (scalding - which needed hospital treatment) The circumstances of the scalding to me seem very odd and quite disturbing. My HT told me about it and when I said to her surely this is a case for child protection she said 'you would think so'. My HT is the CPO and she didnt seem like she was going to do anyhting - I thought she should have to make a call to them - or am I wrong on this? I have never had anything like this to deal with before.
    Am I within my rights to make an anonymous call to Social services to air my concerns? I can't bear to think of what might happen to the little girl next and if something did happen I would feel terrible for not having done something about it. I know the incident happened at home and I don't have any evidence of her being 'mistreated' other than what I have said but I am worried this is going to escalate if something is not done soon.
    I just feel very concerned about her. Help, what should I do next?

3. Since the head may well have acted upon your concerns, the thing to do would be to ask the head outright if she has followed up the matter, and if not, express very clearly your concerns in the same way that you have on here. Tell her you have an instinct that it is imperative that this is acted upon. Since it is now weekend, the NSPCC could also be contacted for more advice. They have two ways for you to get in touch if you are worried about a child: 0808 800 5000 or email help@nspcc.org.uk.

4. Thank you
    Yes I should have asked my head - I will do so on Monday - if she has not done anything I will get more advice. Thank you x

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I would think if she had been to hospital they would have picked up on it as they also have to look out for NAI's.

6. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

YOu should have Accident at Home pro formas. At the very least, a protocol of expecting parents to draw your attention to injuries with an explanation of the cause which is only the same as the school offering an explanation of an accident at school... works both ways you see. If all parents are used to this, then you would not be so worried because the proper communications would be there......
    The risk is that there has been no medical attention. You can find this out when you see the child again. She will tell you what happened and if she saw a doctor or nurse.
    If the injury is bad and there has been no medical involvement then you or your CP person needs to sit down with mum to explain that you are worried about things and wonder if you could find some support for mum.
    That is the time to contact social services. With the family's co operation.
    Social services seem to take little notice of anonymous phone calls and dramatic calls for help. But as part of an ongoing package of support, protection kicks into place. You then get things like CAF meetings and so on.
    It is always worrying when vulnerable little ones have a lump of time off and then emerge with bruises or other injuries. But keeping the child safe means developing a good relationship with the carers so that progress can be made. Ottherwise the child just won't be there when there is any injury and that is very dangerous
    Unless you feel the child's life is a stake. Then phone away.

7. Thank you for your reply.
    I have never heard of an Accident at home pro-forma - we certainly don' have anything like that in place at school.
    She has definately received medical attention - been to hospital and my HT said the nusrses would contact school this week but so far they have not.
    I am hoping she will be back in tomorrow and I will get chance to speak to Mum and we can take it from there. Thanks x