1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concern for a child

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FTLOG100, Nov 17, 2015.

1. FTLOG100

FTLOG100 New commenter

Sorry, I am new to all this but I wondered if anyone had any advice or had been in the same position as me.

Since September I have been teaching a little Polish boy. I have never been so affected by a child in my class before (I have been teaching for 11 years!) He was left with a 'friend' of his mum's boyfriend who lived in our village and she enrolled him in school and did her best for him in very difficult circumstances and had been his full time carer since February. He was very underweight and always hungry so we made sure that he got breakfast at breakfast club, tuck, seconds at dinner and the opportunity for an afternoon snack. Despite this, he worked really hard and was very affectionate and kind. I felt very protective of him, as school was his safe haven.

Last week his Mum reappeared and has removed him from school and taken him to the other side of the country. I am genuinely concerned for him, I have been on the brink of tears because I just want to know that he is safe and that he won't be hungry and that someone will care about him. In a way, I just want to know that he is going to be okay.

If he enrols in a new school, will his notes be asked for? If so then I can find out where he has gone and give his new teacher the heads up on making sure he has enough to eat.

Has anyone been in this situation or have you any advice?

2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Was this raised with social services? A note of concern?

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

TBH, I think I'd speak to your HT with the view to contacting Social Services ASAP.
    There was that case a couple of years ago................................

aspensquiver and midnight_angel like this.
  4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Put all concerns in writing to your school's designated Child Protection Officer, sign and date the document, add your contact details and ask that they be passed on to their opposite number in the child's new school if contact is made. Your concern is admirable, highly professional, and a credit to your basic humanity, but you can only do so much within a bureaucratic hyper-accountable system.

5. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

It is sad when I student has to go.

Ps. I am new today!

6. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Go wherever you can. It is embarrassing to be wrong (and I have been wrong (allegedly) 3 times and issued a full apology to the families concerned) but would you rather not issue an understandable apology than neglect the possibility that this child might be in danger? If CP hasn't done SOMETHING, then bang on for details, and if within a week of your reporting concerns, no-one gets back to you (the weak link in my concerns) don't muck about, go to SS and the Police.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  7. FTLOG100

FTLOG100 New commenter

Thank you all. Your advice has been really helpful. As suggested I will ask my designated CPO to look into what steps can be taken regarding SS and will write the document for his notes.

I want to know that I have done everything I can for him.

8. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Good for you. You can only do what you can.

aspensquiver likes this.
  9. Primary_RE_teacher

Primary_RE_teacher Occasional commenter

Any time. I am good at helping and solving worries and conflict.

10. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Yes, we all remember about some recent cases.

The thing is, why was his mother away? Could she have have been ill, and in any case, how could friend enrol him in a school without checks as to his parentage? Sorry, but that all sounds a little odd to me, since if this is the case the checking should have been done at enrolment, and not departure of the child.

As to the police doing anything about anything you may as well wait for a Spaniard's fart, to quote the lovely Shakespeare.

midnight_angel likes this.
  11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Be sure to keep a copy/record of all requests for further action from others, especially if you have to repeat them - not only for the child's sake but for yours.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  12. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

hi there. this sounds to me like it was a private fostering arrangement and as such the LA should have been contacted. do you know if that happened? as others have said you need to speak to your CPO and probably refer. yes its awful being wrong if all is,well, although it doesnt sound that way, but if it is, better that than hearing something terrible has happened later on and nothing was ever raised.

13. FTLOG100

FTLOG100 New commenter

I believe this was the case, I will check with the CPO as to whether or not the LA know what has happened. She is very good with things like this so it may be that things are already in motion that I am unaware of. I will speak to her in the morning and hopefully she will take note of my concerns and keep me in the loop of any developments. Thank you for your advice it is very much appreciated.

14. Ladykaza

Ladykaza Senior commenter

Your school may well also have reported the situation to the EWO as a child missing education. If he has not yet turned up at another school this will ring alarm bells. If he does turn up the new school will contact yours so that his files can be transferred. At this point, provided they are aware, your cp lead will have a conversation with theirs and make them aware of the concerns.

I am assuming as you have had these concerns for a whike, and have in effect been feeding him, that you have been flagging this up with your CP lead.

15. jennylee24

jennylee24 New commenter

Hello,

I am just wondering, did you have the full story from your school as to how he got accepted in the first place? I am sure a kid can't just be removed from the school by the mother like that without some time of transition or notification, even if it is just a day. Perhaps you/someone senior/Protection Officer can call on the 'carer' person and ask for some more information. It doesn't hurt to ask, I guess, as diplomatically as possible. You/the teaching staff are after all providing the primary care for him whilst he was in the school.

Fingers crossed it is perhaps a case of mis-communications. However, like the others said in a similar line, if a can of worms is somehow unfortunately opened because you care, it is a good thing too, because things can be made visible and addressed in the open, hopefully nipped in the bud before it is too late.

Kind regards,

Jenny

16. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Yes, they can.

I'm wondering if the child was flagged up to social services as a CP concern whilst he was at the OP's school - if he was, they have a responsibility to try to find out where he has gone. If not - why not?

17. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

18. felltogroundinberkeleysquare

felltogroundinberkeleysquare Established commenter

Yes that might be a point, but it is a little boy whom OP is talking about.

19. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Yes - but the general point is about pupils not being removed from school without notice - if I read the article correctly schools have a legal responsibility to check up on girls who are suddenly removed from the school roll, so shouldn't they do the same with boys too?

20. FTLOG100

FTLOG100 New commenter

Thank you all, I found the whole situation desperately sad and your words of advice really helped when I felt helpless.

Just to give a little follow up, SS are involved and are trying to track down where he is. I have written a document for his file that will be passed on to his future CPO. We are a little school and it has been a sad time for the staff, and the children who keep asking where he is as we are like a family.

Regarding the notice given, unfortunately there was none, he simply didn't arrive on Monday and we were told by his carer what had happened. If it had been any different we would have had more opportunity to find out where he was going to go and she was unable to give anymore information than the county that they had gone to.

I have got my fingers, toes and everything else crossed that we hear from a school or SS soon.