1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concern about my sickness record being public knowledge ...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Teacherinneed969, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Teacherinneed969

Teacherinneed969 New commenter

So TES Users,

Got a slight concern and wondered if anyone could give me advice.

I’ve recently recovered from stress caused by work leaving my old post and feeling so much better. After recently receiving my conditional job offer I’m starting to think of new things that could go wrong ....

I recently googled my name linked with the school and saw a public letter to the parents of my previous class that I’d gone sick ‘again’ etc. This worries me that it would be public and anyone could see it. I presumed something involving illness would be on private parent mail not on the World Wide Web or am I being to sensitive.

What would you do? I’m so excited about this new job and a fresh start! I don’t want anything to hinder me after the tough months I’ve had.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Just get in touch with school and ask them to remove it.

I suppose someone could have shared it by now or made a screenshot etc etc but I wouldn't worry too much.

As long as you haven't lied to the new school about your absences then it should be ok anyway.

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Do what @grumpydogwoman advises.

Your old school should never have posted or disclosed your sickness the way it did. It's a breach of data protection law whether they posted it publicly or used parent private mail. There is no need for them to explain your absence to parents, not without your permission.

If they don't take it down at your first request remind them they are in breach of GDPR.

4. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Annoyed by this, on OP's behalf

On top of that, surely I cannot be the only person to find matters of privacy inconsistently dealt with across the board, when such a letter declaring a named teacher's personal circumstance can be publicly read across the whole world, and yet on another thread we have a school compelling staff to shred the front covers of books because they bear kids' names completely devoid of context?!

5. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

What a stupid headteacher to write a letter like that.
    Get it removed immediately and like RottW says threaten them with GDPR regulations.

Good luck in your new role!

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Actually there are many many schools who do not seem to realise, or do not care, that letters which are group sent to parents are quite frequently available for public reading.
    This has always bothered me.
    Seriously, there are lots of them out there. Even the place where I work allows the monthly student newsletter to be read by anybody via the website. It contains names of many of the school community, staff and kids.
    How on earth do they just let that sit there?

agathamorse likes this.
  7. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I came across a school's staff telephone tree on their website. Buried in a policy, but even so...

agathamorse likes this.
  8. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

Appalling.

Do as others say and ask them to pull it.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. peapicker

peapicker Star commenter

Shouldn't have disclosed anything at all about your health without your express permission.

Report it to the Office of the Information Commissioner as a breach of data protection.

https://ico.org.uk/make-a-complaint/