1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Concern about a child- don't know what I can do!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by vinorose, Jun 29, 2011.

  1. Hi, I have a child who has become obsessed with his weight. He wont let anyone see him get changed as says he is fat but he is tiny and is becoming too thin. I watched him today shovel some dry bread down(he took the meat out) and then read the nutritional info on his jaffa cakes and fruit pot. He wouldnt eat the jaffa cakes but shoveled down the fruit in juice. Its either that he is hungry or that he knows he will be expected to eat and is getting it over and done with as quick as possible. I even watched him read the information on his juice bottle. I have been informed by his adult that this is going on at home also and his sibling has just overcome anorexia.
    He is only 9. Is there anything we can do as teachers?
  2. WolfPaul

    WolfPaul Occasional commenter

    You need to report your concerns to your school's child protection officer. In most primary schools this is the Headteacher.
  3. takethatno1fan

    takethatno1fan New commenter

    This has to be reported ASAP to the deignated CP person, as WolfPaul said as a matter of urgency. Parents and the appropriate medical professionals can then be involved in the care and intervention that this child needs.
  4. Their adult is a TA at my school and a wonderful parent. She came to let me know her concerns about him so will doing the above help her situation?
  5. Regardless of who the adult is, you have a DUTY to report this to the CP officer in your school. Then let them deal with it.
  6. Thanks for the replies- I will speak to the CP person tomoro.
  7. cariad2

    cariad2 New commenter

    As well as informing the CP officer, it might be worth getting the school nurse involved. She might either be able to work with the child and family herself, or at least know who he could be referred to for support.
  8. Strangely enough, I have recently had a very similar experience in my school with a little boy who simply refused to eat in case he became fat. It was reported to the CProtection officer and the school nurse also provided invaluable support. It makes me wonder whether we are a little too over zealous about healthy eating and '5 a day' these days. I wonder if there were similar problems 20 years ago? or 50 years ago?

Share This Page