1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concentration camps - The Holocaust - how it happened, what we knew and parallels today

Discussion in 'Personal' started by blue451, Jun 19, 2019.

1. blue451

blue451 Occasional commenter

There's been a fair bit of debate in the US in the past couple of days about the parallels between the holding camps for immigrants in the present and the concentration camps of the nazis.

The easy response is, of course, to dismiss such concerns as exaggerated, 'you call everyone nazis' etc.

Yesterday George Takei tweeted:
    I know what concentration camps are. I was inside two of them, in America. And yes, we are operating such camps again.

This thread is excellent. From someone who worked at the Holocaust memorial museum in the US, it talks about how the Holocaust came about and warns about ignoring the warning signs.
    https://twitter.com/cmclymer/status/1141101726390464518

I expect the usual deniers to dismiss this thread. The thread explains how deniers facilitated the Holocaust.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

So are we talking about genocide or concentration camps? Seems a bit confused.

3. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Concentration camps, and the camps on the US-Mexico border meet the definition.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Concentration camps existed in Germany long before the so-called 'Final Solution' began in 1942. I have a copy of a French magazine from 1938 with an undercover report from a concentration camp. They were known about by many of those who visited Germany before WW2, including a British Legion delegation who visited Dachau in 1935, and who were (of course) reassured by Himmler that the inmates were well treated.

Obvious parallels with last night's BBC report from a Chinese 'Thought Transformation' camp housing members of its Muslim minority. Around a million people are thought to be in such camps in China.

5. LondonCanary

So the thread is not about genocide as per the thread title?

Rott Weiler likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So anyone who disagrees with you is an a par with those who deny the Holocaust?

Nice to know this thread isn't toxic right from the first post.

T0nyGT, newposter, xmal and 1 other person like this.
  7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In Germany the existence of concentration camps in the 1930s enabled the Holocaust genocide to take place from 1942 onwards via extermination camps. The two are inextricably linked. Those whom the Nazis considered a threat to their regime were literally concentrated in certain places under their control prior to the Nazis devising the 'Final Solution'. Britain used the concentration camp system in the Boer War.

Not all concentration camp systems lead to systematic mass genocide, but as Nazi Germany shows, they can do under certain political conditions. No country adopting such a system should be trusted, given what can happen.

8. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I've written before (ahem) on how my mother and father both broke down in tears for the first embarrassing time ever in front of us when The World AT War Holocaust episode in the 70s showed the liberation. As if they were both justifying themselves to me and my brothers "We had no idea. Uncle B was a Jew, we knew. No-one went for him here. We did not know until those pictures were in the paper."

9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

And what about all those SA ones from the Boer War?
    Edit: ours, like.

10. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Yeah, but no one cares because Trump isn't president of China.

lexus300 likes this.
  11. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

I dismiss it. So sue me.

T0nyGT likes this.
  12. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

The irony of reading the twitter thread and then immediately seeing this reply is not wasted on me.
    I can only presume you are making a very clever joke.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A common claim but to my knowledge the first use of camps to concentrate populations considered a threat or undesirable was on the Trail of Tears ethnic cleansing and resettlement programme in the 1830s.

The term concentration camp originates from the spanish reconcentrados or reconcentration camp... used in the 1860s in Cuba after the 10 year war.

However it is arguable that the katorga camps established in Russia in the 17th century, used to remove excess unwanted population into sparsely inhabited newly conquered Siberian lands, could be viewed as another early model.

14. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Oh sorry, my mistake. There was I thinking that Alderney, Atmicetka, Auschwitz,, Balanowka,, Bar, Belzec, Bergen-Belsen, Bodganovka, Bogusze, Buchenwald, Chelmno, Chrzanow, Cieszanow, Dachau, Dakovo, Danica, Drancy, Dworzec, Ebensee, Edineti, Flossenburg, Gross Rosen, Gunskirchen, Gurs, Jadovno, Jasenovac, Kaiserwald, Kamenets-Podolsk, Kamionka-Strumlowa, Karczew, Kielbasin, Klooga, Kruscica, Kruszyna, Lagedi, Les Milles, Leczna, Lieberose, Loborgrad, Luck, Lvov-Janowska, Lysa Gora, Majdanek, Malines, Mauthausen, Miedzyrzec, Minsk Mazowiecki, Natzweiler, Neuengamme, Noe, Nowo Wilejka, Ohrdruf, Plaszow, Ponary, Pustkow, Radom, Ravensbruck, Recebedou, Rehmsdorf, Sachsenburg, Sachsenhausen, Sajmiste, San Sabba, Sandomierz, Siedlce, Skalat, Skarszysko-Kamienna, Sobibor, Stara Gradiska, Stolwa Wola, Stutthof, Szebnie, Theresienstadt, Trawniki, Treblinka and Westerbork had something to do with the Holocaust.

I doubt that the names of the American concentration camps will become as well-known and notorious as some of these, but one never knows. A country capable of holding people without trial for years on end and torturing them hundreds of times in the process is well capable of mass atrocities.

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Is it still a concentration camp if you can avoid it by just turning around and walking in the opposite direction?

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah... this has been triggered by famed intellectual powerhouse Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez... all makes sense now.

Should have guessed from the cack handed poorly understood historical allusions and Hollywood 'slebs' endorsement.

T0nyGT, xmal, border_walker and 2 others like this.
  17. LondonCanary

If I lived somewhere like that I would want the citizens to be well armed.

artboyusa likes this.
  18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Why?

19. LondonCanary

To resist an oppressive state.

20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

The poster hasn't said that.

Worth reading this that they posted though as it is from someone who very much knows what they are on about: