1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concensus of opinion wanted on this one, please!

Discussion in 'History' started by lovely.lady, May 11, 2011.

1. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

Should primary pupils be summatively assessed at the end of the year on how much they have retained in history?
    I know my thoughts on this and am wondering what other professionals think. In particular it would be very interesting to get responses from KS3 history teachers.

Thanks

2. lovely.lady

My thoughts exactly! I taught KS3 history quite a few years ago for just 2 terms (a long story but basically as a favour for head friend). The main criticism for primary history is pupils lack of chronological order and being able to research properly and with focus! Would you agree?

3. I absolutely agree, although it is also the main criticism for secondary pupils so hey ho! I think if I had Year 7s who were used to talking about years in history, had a basic understanding of centuries, were used to looking at simple sources about history...I would be delighted! I think this probably means more good history teaching in primary by people like you who are interested which seems to be in short supply in my experience... :)

4. lovely.lady

Thank you!