1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Concealed room

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kibosh, Sep 11, 2015.

1. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Let's pretend that one day you happened upon a concealed room in your house . . . . what do you think you might discover in it . . .what might you use it for?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Funnily enough, we just did!

Actually there are 2 but I knew about one of them before we moved in.

Very sorry but I don't think it'll be very exciting except that one of them had many spiders so I told the grandkids they'd be sleeping there!

JOKE!!!!!

3. grumpydogwoman

Well, unless they're naughty. In which case they won't be laughing!

4. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Storage. I dream of storage.

5. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

[​IMG] What kind of house do you live in?

6. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

They may be priest holes!

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The bones of Michael Gove. I forgot to leave any bread or water for him when we went away on holiday... oops, forget I said that.

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

My brother bought a large house in a village near Penzance that had a concealed room. He only became aware of it after our mum had sat for a while pondering over the shape of the house, thinking about which rooms were above the ones downstairs and mentally worked that the top of the house was either smaller than the bottom, or there was something strange about it.

She investigated and sure enough, the top of the house was five paces smaller than the bottom, although you wouldn't have seen it from the outside if you hadn't noticed that on the end of the house was a small window. After a bit of further investigation, she discovered there was a room that had been sealed up, with the doorway papered over...

It was all very intriguing. He mentioned it in the pub and got the response "Ahhh, that be smugglers or pirates, John. You bought yourself a house full of treasure. Someone else suggested it might have skeletons in it.

For whatever reason, he wasn't keen to open it up, which irritated our curious mother no end. She pleaded with him to find out what might be inside. "There won't be anything in there, Mum," he said. "I've got enough on my plate without having to make good the damage opening up that room will cause."

Not too long after that, my brother had a massive heart attack and died suddenly, so the mystery of the curious room was never ever solved.

9. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

NOOOOOOO! You can't leave that kind of cliff hanger . . . .arrgghh! Are you just windin' us up?

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

No wind up, kibosh. His death set his family back quite a bit. The house was far bigger than they needed, so it was sold to buy a smaller property and raise the kids off the proceeds.

11. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I wonder why he didn't get a ladder and have a look through the window, to find out what might be in the room.

12. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

We had a concealed room, once. My son's. After he moved out I was able to open the door to a dark, dank cave.

13. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I've still got two of those. Seriously - I can't bring myself to go in either of them. [​IMG]

14. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I have a very small house (yes, I know I'm lucky to have one) and I keep having a recurrent dream in which I discover that I have a basement with two more rooms and another bathroom! Bliss.

15. grumpydogwoman

It's quite a large house and it turns out that there are two voids at each side of one of the bedrooms. One had a door behind some bedroom cupboards which we knew about before moving in (a bit like Narnia) and the other was hidden behind the sauna but, whilst doing some work on the heating unit, we discovered the door to that room!

Then there's the attic! It is a big house. Good thing too with all our rubbish.

16. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I would like to find a room containing a litter of puppies with a carer to see to their day-to-day needs. I would then contribute by giving them lots of cuddles! Sadly our house is small and modern with no chance of anything like that.

17. grumpydogwoman

We have a boat-house and a summer-house too. We may convert those and set up a wild-life sanctuary or small pet rehoming-centre. Very informal though.

Some neighbours run arts and crafts workshops from theirs.

18. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Yip. I would have. I couldn't have walked away from that kind of mystery without a peek.

I'm reading The Revolving Door of Life by McCall Smith and two of his characters buy a house only to discover a concealed room behind an old book case . . . inside there are some paintings . . . it has yet to be revealed how much they are worth. Now a find like that would be exciting.

19. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I would have to have found out what was in the room, as my curiosity would get the better of me. I find it frustrating enough that I will never find out about this room in the original posting.

20. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Snap [​IMG]