1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computing which course is the best for GCSE?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by SimonNorth, Apr 23, 2012.

1. SimonNorth

SimonNorth New commenter

Hello everyone,

Anyone teaching GCSE Computing?
    If so which exam board are you using?
    Which one would you recommend?

2. Yes.

OCR.

Been discussed several times. For me, OCR is the better option. AQA controlled assessment doesn't look right to me, Edexcel and WJEC still have yet to release their specs. Saw an updated CIE spec/SAM last week and it didn't look good to me - very disjointed.

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Don't forget the Cam Nats do give you the ability to choose a module on programming if you want. You don't have to go GCSE route and take the punt on controlled assessment that appears to me from postings on here to be problematic for both ICT and computing.

4. Just to argue with DJP some more, my OCR CA results are looking pretty good, and the students largely enjoyed it (relatively speaking). I think that CA as a principle is flawed, and the ICT varian is soul-destroyingly awful. The Computing CA is not perfect, but the OCR one I quite like and there's some interesting work that can be done with genuine independence.

5. Looking forward to WJEC one....when it eventually gets released.

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I didn't think I was arguing!! Anyway just merely wanted to point out that lots of threads seem to bring up CA issues for a lot of people (not all, but most) and there is an alternative pathway to bring in computing to a KS4 course if you wanted to follow that route. Of course it is only a small percentage of that overall qualification and you still have 2 bits of ICT coursework and an ICT exam to complete too.

7. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

I completely agree with HappyHippy. We'll be going with OCR unless Edexcel or WJEC pull something great out of the bag.

The AQA one has great controlled assessment in terms of the idea but the implementation was poor. It's supposed to focus on mobile technology but it looks strange and I think it'd end up being a lot more complicated than intended. These students aren't A-level!

8. I felt the theory side of the course for AQA was also too close to A-level standard. We are planning on going with OCR.

9. Just back from the OCR Training day for this - very impressed with the way it is set up and run. We'll see what the reality brings next term but looking forward to it.Never heard a negative word from anyone there, formally or informally........
    If you are thinking about it, get on the course asap.

10. A lot of independent schools, grammars and top set comps do computing, but not GCSE. Have a long hard look at AS computing as an alternative stretch and challenge course. The as computing course by OCR isn't much harder than GCSE but has a great benefit - no controlled assessments, the hardest bit about GCSE computing. This means you can concentrate on practical work without having to jump through hoops. It is a great course, too. Very clear and excellent support.