1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computing Vacancies

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Mr_G_ICT, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

I guess their stated marking policy then was one marked piece a week, even if misguided.

My main point though was that some (many?) schools seem to be unable to hang on to computer science teachers once they have recruited them, for a mix of reasons.

I also don't think some Heads realise just how much work is involved when a new CS teachers joins them, they seem to have unrealistic expectations. It's highly unlikely a new teacher is familiar with all the software used by teachers and students when they arrive at a school, and the first few months involve the teacher becoming expert in what they have never used before - and it takes lots and lots of hours and hard work, on top of all the other sh** they are expected to do.

So said teachers leave as quickly as they arrive.

2. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

In my experience, good CS teachers can adapt to any environment. New software, hardware and expectations are par for the course.

However, schools try to give CS teachers some sort of IT manager responsibility as well and that is a reason why I have left a few schools.

A few schools are not interested in explanations about why the current hardware is well past its useful life and cannot run the expensive software they have just bought. Even suggested changes which cost nothing are rejected out of hand.

3. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

I'm not saying teachers don't adapt. I"m saying it takes a lot of effort in the initial months, and it's not understood by Heads who pile on other jobs at this critical time. It's a brave teacher indeed who takes on an additional responsibility like IT Manager, NM, cross curricula manager, outside links person these days. Just being a teacher is more than enough but even with that, you can't or rather shouldn't accept a UK job anymore without knowing and understanding the details of all expectations, duties and contractual obligations.