1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computing training courses for ICT Teachers

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by FSharp, Mar 20, 2012.

1. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

Has anyone got any information for training courses in computing aimed at ICT Teachers. I was wondering if any Inset had been made available around London.
    Other than that, the only way I can think to improve is to just pick up the student guide and start learning myself.
    Is there any offical computing qualifications available?

2. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

Has anyone got any information for training courses in computing aimed at ICT Teachers. I was wondering if any Inset had been made available around London.
    Other than that, the only way I can think to improve is to just pick up the student guide and start learning myself.
    Is there any offical computing qualifications available?

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I was wondering about this sort of thing myself, given that subject advisers seem to have been the first people to be re-purposed by the LA.
    Maybe it's time for some of us to set up a little cooperative to offer our services!

4. Can I suggest that the first, gentle introduction to computing / programming is to work through the beginners course for bbcbasic for windows. It's excellent and will cover all the basic ideas. Then you can move on to other languages.

5. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

How about a degree in Computer Science, or is that too hard for our particular subject?

6. http://www.cs.manchester.ac.uk/undergraduate/

7. Isn't this north of the Watford Gap?
    They have universities there?

8. Do they still teach people to program ?
    It seems not. Mine was chocablock full of it ; high and low level, processor design, mathematical proofs, hardware interfacing.
    Do they just play with Powerpoint nowadays ?

9. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

Computer Science degrees vary a lot from university to university. I think that programming formed only a small proportion of the course I did. It was more about Maths - predicate calculus, graph theory, set theory, proving whether a task was more efficient if you did it with two processes concurrently, etc. My first two lectures were both about the Greek alphabet and its use in Maths, as I recall.

10. When we interviewed graduates as programmers we would ask them to write a small program, something like "add two constants, multiply by a third constant and display the answer." Any language..About a half couldn't do it.

11. Just a half couldn't do it.
    Surprisingly low.

12. FSharp

FSharp New commenter

I do not have the time to do a degree. Plus I have a degree in Multimedia Computing, but remember very little about programming except Action Script which I currently teach. I have no idea what new information they want to teach. I simply assumed that there was be a retraining course of ICT teachers to know what new information they need to teach in, what seems to be a radical change.

13. Are you serious ?
    You mean like (BASIC)
    10 A = (2+3)*4
    20 PRINT A
    Mind you I was once asked to write code to swap two variables as part of an interview.
    I did it in every language I knew (quite a lot) to make the point ; I wasn't offered the job (nor did I want it).
    I was quite tempted to use Forth. (SWAP) or Z80 Assembler (ex de,hl)
    Silly bu**ers :)

14. That's a bit disappointing. I had visions of you teaching F#
    Nearly as mad as the syllabus that suggested Perl as a programming language at KS4. Methinks they didn't know what it was like....

15. There wont be any money for re-training. Much cheaper to sack the ones that can't do it and employ NQTs who have come through a new PGCE - at their own expense.
    Welcome to the brave new education world.

16. it's a quick way of spotting those who aren't really programmers. Some would attempt longwinded explanations but no answer when your bit of basic would do fine.

17. Perhaps we should all go off to a centre of excellence and get an A Level in Computing. Teacher training hub....

18. Thanks for all the interest in a Python course. I'll post more details here and in a new thread on the forum when I have more details. Feel free to PM me until then.

19. The swap two variables is commonly used at interview however the catch is normally they want a swap of two integers with no temp variable used. Great test for any programmer.

20. tjra

tjra Occasional commenter

How do you do it? I'm not a programmer but I have a basic understanding and can't think how I'd get around it...