1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Computing Schemes of Work?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, Sep 4, 2015.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Has anyone bought in any schemes to support the delivery of the computing curriculum? I've just taken on subject leadership in my school and we have nothing in place to support staff so want to buy something in that is compatible with Macs. Any reviews/personal experience would be gratefully accepted!

2. Studyzonetv

Studyzonetv Occasional commenter

As a Mac user, I would suggest there would be little to no difference between a scheme of work for PCs vs Macs. Microsoft Office is available for Mac if that is the platform you wish to use. Many schemes of work use free online tools instead, such as Google Apps for Education. These run the same regardless of the platform.

[This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Chris

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  3. I'm using Rising Stars ICT because that is what the school bought into. There is a later one called Computing which I don't know a lot about. It can be challenging both for teachers and pupils depending on experience and previous knowledge. I have been adapting the Rising Stars ICT modules as I have gone along. I supplement the Rising Stars with ideas from these links:

code-it.co.uk/.../abbotswood - (particularly excellent resources for Computer Science/Scratch)

slp.somerset.org.uk/.../Primary%20Computing.aspx

www.ccc-computing.org.uk/resources

www.knowsleyclcs.org.uk/computing-scheme-of-works

Hope this helps.

4. I've heard mixed reviews on the Rising Star Computing scheme which is quite costly (something like £800 for both Key Stages I think) however the sample resources I have looked at look good and it has clear lesson plans with resources so probably great for staff who are a little nervous about teaching ICT. I have used this site (SWGFL) for lots of bits though. swgfl.org.uk/.../education.

Also Hour of Code is brilliant for teaching code to primary from Year 2 I'd say. It's free and takes you through stages of creating games. My classes love this and so do the staff. https://uk.code.org/

Good luck!

5. I've been teaching primary computing for a long time using iCompute for Primary Schools. It was developed on Macs but is compatible with Windows.

Try the free stuff they have - http://www.icompute-uk.com

It has one unit in Year 5 that uses Microsoft Kodu which, given that it's Microsoft who don't play nice with Apple, won't work on your Macs - but that's provided as an optional second unit as the graphics requirement can be a little high for some schools running on older systems.

6. I didn't want to go down the Rising Stars route so I wrote my own scheme of work for our school. We've been using it for a year now and it seems to be working quite nicely. For coding we start them off with 2Code within Purple Mash (we are big Purple Mash users) and then Scratch and Barclays Code Playground.